Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sensenich Composite Prop Official Update

Default Sensenich Composite Prop Official Update

Dear Sport Cub owners,
    Attached are two documents that explain the history and current status of the Sensenich Ground Adjustable Props for the O-200. I was hearing through the grapevine that owners weren't sure if they could order these props; as you'll see the issues have been cleared up completely. Go here for more information about the Composite Prop: http://cubcrafters.com/support/pdfs/...ifications.pdf
    Thanks, Becky
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Becky Teerink

Default Re: Sensenich Composite Prop Official Update

Just a FYI. After I installed the new "A" hub I noticed significant vibration in the 2050 to 2400 RPM range. After discussions with Sensenich they sent me a replacement "A" hub and I test flew it this past Monday. I am happy to report all is well and smooth. Sensenich thought it could have been a poor machining job on the first hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Epplett View Post
    Just a FYI. After I installed the new "A" hub I noticed significant vibration in the 2050 to 2400 RPM range. After discussions with Sensenich they sent me a replacement "A" hub and I test flew it this past Monday. I am happy to report all is well and smooth. Sensenich thought it could have been a poor machining job on the first hub.
    Interesting, I have the new hub also and have a vibration around 1500rpms. I was thinking it was in the cartridge not the hub. I am going to try another cartridge next to see what it does.

I have been running the 46 cartridge for the past 4 months as I love the quick throttle response and climb. It works well with students. I am going to try the 48 next.

I sure am happy with the performance of the composite prop.

Anybody else have input on composite vibration?

Geo

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Interesting, I have the new hub also and have a vibration around 1500rpms. I was thinking it was in the cartridge not the hub. I am going to try another cartridge next to see what it does.

I have been running the 46 cartridge for the past 4 months as I love the quick throttle response and climb. It works well with students. I am going to try the 48 next.

I sure am happy with the performance of the composite prop.

Anybody else have input on composite vibration?

Geo
    Unofficial reply from an old email from Sensenich:

Due to the fact that the cartridge must slide in and out of the hub there is
    a certain amount of play even when the blade pins are engaged into the
    cartridge. The first thing I would suggest is to check that the cartridge is
    centered between the slot in the cover. If you loosen the clamp bolts to the
    point where you can rotate both blades together in the hub at the same time
    with the cartridge still engaged, you should notice that the cartridge will
    rock back and forth a small amount. If you center the cartridge within the
    limits of this rock that should help correct any vibration. When the
    cartridge is pushed to one side one blade angle gets higher while one blade
    angle gets lower. This causes an aerodynamic vibration. I suspect this may
    be what you are experiencing.
    Becky Teerink

I have been very pleased with the new hub. No vibration and outstanding performance. I had 2 hub bolts break off on the original prop.

Hi all, I too had 2 bolts break on the original hub but flew the new hub for over 200 hours with no trouble at all before I sold my S2 and bought the Carbon Cub. I did have some vibration similar to what you are describing and swaped position of the blades and the vibration went away so might try that. I also flew three different pitch cartridges th 46/48 and 50. My opinion is the 46 is great for perfromace take offs, the 50 best for cross county flight for the additional speed and the 48 was best of both worlds if you do not want to spend time swapping out the cartridges. Regards Gary

As an add on to my original post regarding the vibration, I had several discussions with Sensenich. I swapped the blades, swapped the cartridges and rotated the hub, all to no avail. I also checked the blade tracking which was good. After much thought and attempts to rectify the problem the decision was made to try a new hub. That solved the problem, 100%. I do want to add that everyone at Sensenich was great to work with, the epitome of customer service. TCM could learn a lesson from Sensenich.

I just ordered the Sensenich adjustable prop and need some suggestions on the pitch plugs. Ralph Rogers and I discussed it off-line and he suggests either the 50" or 52" for cruise and 48" for the remainder. This plane has the performance exhaust and will be running the 8:50s (when Bushwheel gets the lightweight ones going!)--so, what is the opinion out there on the best pitch selections? Anybody running the 52"? Gary, I also saw your post which also was helpful.

I have tried a variety of pitch cartridges. My preference is 46 pitch for fun flying and 50 pitch for XC.

Catch up on the news, My 46 cartridge was seriously impacted with wear. I have the new hub but have a noticeable vibration between 12-2200 roms centered around 15-1700rpms. I sent the cartridge back to Charlie at Sensenich and it is a mystery to them. Charlie has shipped an entirely new prop-hub assembly and a new 46 to replace my present one. He wants the old ones back to test to solve the mystery!

They have been very responsive and proactive! I am quite pleased with their standing tall to solving the problem!

Geo
    Attached Images Attached Images