Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sensenich Composite Prop Official Update

Default Re: Sensenich Composite Prop Official Update

All:

Before I sold my Sport Cub S2 demo airplane, I flew the adjustable pitch prop with 46, 48, 50, and 52" pitch cartridges. They all work GREAT, but selection is totally dependent on your mission. For best take-off and climb performance (especially doing sales demos), the 48 is the best all-around, but if most of my flying was $100 hamburger X-C's ... fairly short flights, I would go to the 50. One thing I did find is that every time you change the cartridge, you take a chance that everything won't "mesh" exactly right, and the vibration issues arise. My suggestion is to find the pitch cartridge you like, suited to your mission, get it assembled exactly right, (i.e. no vibration), and keep it that way. It's a great prop, and the Sensenich customer service is second to none!!

Fly Low, Fly Slow, and FLY SAFE!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Chip, how do the 50" and 52" plugs differ in cruise performance? i.e., what speeds and fuel burn differences did you notice? I have been wondering whether the 0-200 with the performance exhaust would be actually be efficient with such a coarse pitch as the 52"?

I found the 52 cartridge to be very good for cruise with adequate climb around 500-600 FPM at 70 mph. At 3000 ft MSL I calculated the True Airspeed at 117 mph burning 5.5-6 gph. I'm keeping the 48 in for my fun flying.Still not having any vibration.

Thanks for the info on the 52" pitch. Sounds like the best bet for going somewhere. Have you tried a 46" at all?

I have not tried the 46. The 48 is enough excitement for me. For me, the 50 offers good cruise up to 112mph TAS and 700+ FPM at gross weight.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I know some of the guys are using a 46" while others are using the 48" so I guess it depends on the DAs where they are operating.

Pitch determines the amount of power your engine will produce all other factors being equal. Higher rpm equals higher power output and better clime rate regardless of DA.

Quote Originally Posted by geoedgerton View Post
    Ok, thanks for the feedback. I know some of the guys are using a 46" while others are using the 48" so I guess it depends on the DAs where they are operating.
    George, I prefer the 46 for my type of flying with students and off airport fun stuff even though it is sea level. The throttle response and climb is awesome! I would actually like to try a 44 for STOL but its not approved for sport cub.

The 48 is a close substitute and a little more top end can still over rev past red line. The 52 when I had it briefly in felt sluggish in comparison but definitely a lot higher cruise speed. Foxstardoc has posted some pretty good figures for comparison.

Geo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Geo. My earlier comment about DAs was some what unclear, but I was thinking that for hot, high and short the 46 climb pitch would be nice to have in the inventory. I am in the process of re-installing a second hub since the first hub and clamp did not mate correctly. Did you get your new hub?

Just got the replacement prop and hub today, will swap in next couple of days.

Geo