Thread: Dynon (I hope) issues

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Dynon (I hope) issues

So, at first it was kinda intermittant, but now it is starting to make me crazy. The dynon engine instruments...one of them...is constantly alarming: First: High Current...then Low current...back and forth. When you look at the specific indicator, it will show like 15 amps...then shoot up to 50 amps then, after a bit, down to -50 amps. I am HIGHLY suspicious that this is artifact (in that nothing has caught on fire in the 100 hours I have flown the airplane...nor has the battery ever been dead). Nothing whatsoever (including the battery voltage) shows any differences during these excursions.

Interesting enough, when Chip sent me a picture whilst he was moving the brand new airplane to Hillsboro, the panel showed the same alarm.

Thoughts? Fixes?

Jim

Default Re: Dynon (I hope) issues

I would guess it is an issue with the ammeter shunt. I'm with you, it's probably a bad indicator if there is no other signs of trouble. It is inline in the bus feed line from the battery and has two small wires going to it from the Dynon. Those two small wires are fused (1 amp) I believe. I would start by checking those fuses.

Is this a D180 or a Skyview? Either way, the shunt will be behind the panel, about five inches long black plastic with a copper colored bar on it. Should be mounted to a tube with a couple of clamps. The Dynon will come out with one captive allen screw (D180) or half a dozen non-captive allen screws (Skyview). If its a D180 be carefull as it comes out, the allen screw sticks out the back side and its easy to scratch up the panel and other radios.

Give customer support a heads-up on this if you haven't already. Jeff Glab tracks any issues with the fleet and should be able to help you.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I would guess it is an issue with the ammeter shunt. I'm with you, it's probably a bad indicator if there is no other signs of trouble. It is inline in the bus feed line from the battery and has two small wires going to it from the Dynon. Those two small wires are fused (1 amp) I believe. I would start by checking those fuses.

Is this a D180 or a Skyview? Either way, the shunt will be behind the panel, about five inches long black plastic with a copper colored bar on it. Should be mounted to a tube with a couple of clamps. The Dynon will come out with one captive allen screw (D180) or half a dozen non-captive allen screws (Skyview). If its a D180 be carefull as it comes out, the allen screw sticks out the back side and its easy to scratch up the panel and other radios.

Give customer support a heads-up on this if you haven't already. Jeff Glab tracks any issues with the fleet and should be able to help you.
    Hey Pete: Thanks for the feedback. I pretty much have figured out that it is the shunt. I'm going over to the airport in a bit and I'll take a look. At this point, the information the monitor generates is so worthless I am inclined to just turn that parameter off. Which is, while inelegant, probably the simplest solution.

I have taken your advise and included Jeff (and Chip, my dealer...hell, I mentioned him...) in this polylogue. Thanks again!

Jim

Just to make it crystal clear, I do believe it is probably just a bad indication. I would recommend tracing it down and at least determining why it is doing what it is doing. I have learned the hard way that small electrical anomalies should be taken care of asap as sometimes they are indicators of larger issues that could turn into bigger problems if not taken care of. They never heal themselves!
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks again, Pete! Wilco.

Jim