Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop balance

Default Prop balance

When I bought my CC 3 years ago it needed a prop balance. I hired a fellow who drives around the country balancing props.
    He did a very good job and I would like to use him again.
    The problem is I have lost his name and contact information.
    I think someone here recommended him.
    Anyone remember who he is?
    Bill

Default Re: Prop balance

Same here, I'd like to fine someone with experience balancing Carbon Cub props.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

We are lucky enough to have a helicopter (Robinson and Schweitzer) service center on our field. Since EVERYTHING on helicopters need to be balanced these guys are pretty darn good with the task and equipment. I suggest seeking out a service center of this nature for balancing. I too had a poor experience using a roving A&P with balancing equipment.
    Ben Redman, GM
    RARE Aircraft Ltd
    www.rareaircraft.com
    ben@rareaircraft.com
    507-331-8446

Agree best to find a dedicated shop. Here in the southeast we are lucky to have an independent Sensenich Propeller shop in Gainesville, GA located across the street from the airport. You can land, they'll taxi you over to a remote corner of the ramp, and a tech will come over from the prop shop and do a dynamic balance in about an hour. $250 last time I did one. I'm pretty sure Memphis Propeller in Olive Branch, MS can do balancing too. We've used them in the past for overhauls on Ham-Standards and they do great work.

Chuck,
    Catto does it, and they can do it at SMX.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Default Re: Prop balance Sport Cub

Several things on the engine indicate excessive vibration (one is my oil pressure needle shakes badly around 2300RPM).
    I am looking for someone who has balanced the McCauley on the Sport Cub. Is the very light weight backing plate an issue?
    What is the recommended method for adding balance weights?
    Thanks, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    Several things on the engine indicate excessive vibration (one is my oil pressure needle shakes badly around 2300RPM).
    I am looking for someone who has balanced the McCauley on the Sport Cub. Is the very light weight backing plate an issue?
    What is the recommended method for adding balance weights?
    Thanks, Barry
    i think you want to balance the assembly and not just the prop? I had mine balanced up here in Spokane by Western Aviation, took about an hour and it made a huge improvement in airframe vibration. Balance weights consist of an AN bolt/nut and washers as needed in the hole(s) on the flywheel. Be careful that the bolt has good clearance from the cowl. Balance it at the rpm you expect to cruise at. Prop/backing plate should make no difference.
    Last edited by rlinford; 09-08-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlinford View Post
    i think you want to balance the assembly and not just the prop? I had mine balanced up here in Spokane by Western Aviation, took about an hour and it made a huge improvement in airframe vibration. Balance weights consist of an AN bolt/nut and washers as needed in the hole(s) on the flywheel. Be careful that the bolt has good clearance from the cowl. Balance it at the rpm you expect to cruise at. Prop/backing plate should make no difference.
    Thanks for the info, but I assume you are referring to a Carbon Cub? I have a Sport Cub. The 0200 Continental doesn't have a fly wheel, so I'm not sure how the weights would be attached?
    Cheers

I usually see stick on lead wheel weights on the inside lip of the spinner bulkhead. The same surface that the nut-plates are on.

You need to do the prop balance with the spinner installed. So the process is, do the run, pull spinner, stick on the estimated weight, reinstall spinner, repeat until the balancer says it is done.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I assume you are referring to a Carbon Cub? I have a Sport Cub. The 0200 Continental doesn't have a fly wheel, so I'm not sure how the weights would be attached?
    Cheers
    Sorry, didn't realize it was an O200. Link below is what the FAA references for prop balancing. If not on the flywheel they discuss locating weights on the edge of the spinner backing plate. I don't know if the carbon fiber spinner can handle the weights so I would check with the factory first. Personally I would not use stick on weights, especially inside the spinner. They will fall off at some point and who knows what will happen. I kind of doubt it's kosher to put extra washers under the prop bolts but maybe Craig Catto at Catto Props would have an answer. Good luck, it's a lot more fun to fly behind a balanced engine.

http://www.csobeech.com/files/Chadwi...ncerManual.pdf