Thread: Cross Country Flights in a Carbon Cub

Default Cross Country Flights in a Carbon Cub

Well, I did it again! Just completed my third Yakima WA-West Palm Beach FL Cross country (this time via the California coast then East) in a Carbon Cub including a really fun stop in AZ to fly the Apache Trail Canyons with another Cubcrafter enthusiast,Georg Hoover. Something everyone needs on their bucket list. I am just back from 5 glorious days flying accross the US the long way starting, Yakima on Sunday Jan 13 and landing at West Palm Beach Florida Jan on 18th. The actual trip route (including 2 prior days of engine break-in in Yakima) entailed 48 total flight hours (35.6 actual cross country, Yakima to West Palm) covering 10 States, 3700 miles 242 gallons fuel at an average ground speed of 104 MPH. Better yet no clouds or weather and mostly tail winds and only a slight head wind at one leg. It just does not get better or more lucky. Was bitter cold till Destin Forida ( Until Destin we never saw temps on the ground above high twenties) but the new heater works much better and we were comfortable in the minus 10-15 degree at altitude and thus far the new Hartzell starter is also much better. I will provide a full PIREP on the trip and the eqipment together with actual flight plan when I get settled and caught up. Sufice to say this is just one great fun aiplane and simply no dents in my enthusisasm to fly this plane on more cross country adventures thanks to the great folks at Cubcrafters. Best Gary

Default Re: Cross Country Flights in a Carbon Cub

Gary -

Great to hear you had a good trip - looking forward to seeing your route home. I pick up my new Carbon Cub on February 18, and then fly it home to Maine. Cannot wait!

All the best.

Jack

It was good to have a chance to see and visit Gary and John on their stop in AZ on the way to Florida. I had not done a flight with Gary since 2009 when he picked up his first Carbon Cub. We did a fun flight of two through the very scenic Salt River Canyons, a series of narrow canyons and reservoirs we call the Apache Trail with some in-trail flying a few feet off the shoreline of Apache Lake followed by a fly-by of ancient cliff dwelling ruins before they resumed their journey home. I had so much I wanted to share but that would take days! AZ backcountry is very interesting!...Look forward to the pix of the journey....Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Gary, even the short story version of your cross country adventure is pretty exciting. What a pleasure to think of crossing the country someday in my EX, not to mention, exploring the AZ backcountry with George, right here at home. Looking forward to more on your trip. Thanks. Paul