Thread: Howdy

Default Howdy

My name is Jim and I'm new here. I will be moving to the Dallas area in a couple weeks and will be looking forward to learning about Cub Crafters via the forum.

My question involves a clip-wing Cub. I've always loved those and was wondering if anyone is building, or contemplating building, a clip-wing with the Cub Crafters kit? Can it be done? I'd love to have a clip-wing and have wondered why Cub Crafters or American Legend haven't built one. Thanks guys! Glad to be here.

Default Re: Howdy

Hi Jim and welcome to the forums! I of course can't speak for Legend ;-) but can tell you that we are aware there is some interest in a clip-wing derivative. Our issue is simply priorities. We have 11 people in our engineering department at present and way more opportunities to pursue than we have manpower for. Between supporting the current fleet as it matures, and new product ideas we have in development, we have to choose our development priorities carefully.

Good to know there is interest though, and again welcome aboard!
    Randy Lervold

Hmmm, clipped wing carbon cub...interesting thought to contemplate!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

I own a Reed Clipped Wing J3 Cub, and fly it regularly. I am also building a CC EX, and really debating whether I would keep or sell the J3 since it is such a joy to fly, and does some aerobatics. Ever since this post started, I've been thinking about the question posed and how reasonable it would be to convert the EX to a clipped wing version. Having flown a clipped wing for several years, it does have pluses, but it also comes with it's share of minuses, most notable a glide ratio comparable to a brick. Other than that you really lose very little over a J3. Slight increase in stall speed. Slight increase in cruise, and a little better handling in air turbulence. It's certainly not a weight hauler or short field airplane.

That said, the conversion on a J3 is relatively easy since there are no flaps; however, on the CC, my conclusion is that it would need a newly engineered wing, or you will either lose the flaps, or lose the ailerons, neither of which is good in my opinion. You also have the fuel tanks pushing out further in the wing and would likely lose some fuel capacity to keep within the internal wing structure without major modification. As Randy says below, this needs an engineer, and frankly coming from a clipped wing pilot not worth losing the short field capabilities of the aircraft and it's intended purpose. Just my humble opinion.

Tony

Really appreciate all the replies! Glad to be hear and I'll certainly keep reading the forums.

I certainly understand about priorities as well - hopefully someone can come up with a plan!

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Jim, Stop in for a ride anytime.
    Scot Warren - Member / President
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & Louisiana