Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skis 2013

Default Skis 2013

It is winter and the skis are on the EX. So I thought other EX guys might enjoy seeing a few pictures from this winter. And I'll add more as the season progresses.

IMG_0493.jpgIMG_1543.jpgIMG_1542.jpg

These images are from New Years Day 2013 from Ryan Field Montana. Ryan Field is owned by the RAF and open to the public. It is close to West Galcier Montana and about 1 mile from Glacier National Park. Randy Lervold had one of the Carbon Cubs there last summer for the annual fly-in. It is a neat place and has plenty of snow now. Walking without snowshes I was sinking up to my knees. I do have a tail ski.

Landing in a lot of powder like this is fun. Take-offs, especially with a backseater, take some finesse with the stick position to get the optimum angle of attack. With the light weight of the Carbon Cub and plenty of horsepower makes it easy.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Skis 2013

I got a chance to try out a Carbon Cub EX with wheel penetration skis last weekend. That was my first experience and the most any of the strips we went to near here has was maybe 8" of snow but it was pretty fun. Really makes a big difference where you are at in pitch on your ground "slide" (ie; takeoff) how much drag there is on the skis.

2013-01-01 11.43.13.jpg

2013-01-01 11.54.24.jpg
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

We have developed bolt-on ski attach brackets for our Summit wheel skis to fit the Cub style landing gear. Using the existing landing gear bolt holes, they align perfectly with the landing gear with NO welding required. Introduced last winter, there are a few CC cubs using our skis along with several LSA size planes. Our SS2300 skis were designed for the Cub size planes up to 2300 gross and at only 24 pounds each (all Carbon Fiber), they are the lightest weight wheel skis on the market. They can be installed or removed in less than 5 minutes. If anyone is interested in ski flying this winter, check out our website.

Mike Custard
    summitaircraft.com

2012-12-28%2015_39_52.jpg

What brand skis did you have Pete?

i like the weight and change time on the Summits quoted here. My Airglas skis weight 45 pounds each and time to change is at least an hour per side. That includes changing over from the 31" tires to 8" too.

Here's another image from Moose City.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    What brand skis did you have Pete?

They were TrickAir Skis. http://www.trickair.com/ The customer has a tail ski to go with them but with the minimal amount of snow here he decided not to put it on at least for now. This is the second year he has had them on, though he has had the skis three years. (last year he didn't put them on)

These have a heavy duty steel u-bracket that welds to the bottom of the inboard end of the axle. Once that is installed attaching and removing the skis is a piece of cake. One bolt/nut/cotter pin at the axle, attach the front and back cables, hook up the bungees and you are ready to go. 30 minutes or less install? They require 8.50 tires, which he happened to be running already.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

There are photos of the plane I flew here:

http://www.trickair.com/exp.php

They were taken when the plane was first put on skis, I think the fall of 2010.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Two weeks ago I thought Spring was here and made one last ski flight before switching back to 31's. This is Schafer Meadow Montana deep within the Great Bear Wilderness.

The second image didn't post for some reason so I'll make another reply.

I am selling my 170B which is fitted with FliLite 3000 skis and buying a E Carbon Cub. I have the Supercub attachment gear for the skis and am toying with the idea of retaining the skis and mounting them on the Cub. Any thoughts other than the 3000s are heavy? I really like that double beam design. Thanks, Jake

Quote Originally Posted by 1473C View Post
    I am selling my 170B which is fitted with FliLite 3000 skis and buying a E Carbon Cub. I have the Supercub attachment gear for the skis and am toying with the idea of retaining the skis and mounting them on the Cub. Any thoughts other than the 3000s are heavy? I really like that double beam design. Thanks, Jake
    Jake,

I'm awaiting one more domino to fall and I'll likely join the ranks of Carbon Cub owners as well. While I haven't flown a CC on skis I have flown FliLite 3000s for several seasons on my now sold PA-12/160. FliLites are really good skis on a Cub providing you don't need wheels-down soft field ground clearance. That's the only achilles heel on FliLites and it really doesn't factor into most user's operations. You already know the FliLites are great in the snow and if you rig them properly, which is slightly flat of the old factory instructions, they're very good in the air, too. I wouldn't hesitate to use FliLites again. Would you stay with the typical hand pump? Where would a guy mount that in a Carbon Cub? I've never used electric pumps for wheel skis but that may be a good option. And there are some nice, compact hydraulic pumps for the experimental amphib market, both manual and electric. Maybe somebody here will comment on hydraulics in their Carbon Cub. I'd be interested to hear about what's been done.

Enjoy.

Stewart