Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skis 2013

Default Re: Skis 2013

In the 170B I mounted the reservoir and the pump as one unit which slid on the seat rails behind the passengers seat. Two safety seat locs secure it to the rails. That way, at the end of the season you just loosen the safety locs and slide it out. The reservoir is on top of the pump making it tall and thin so I ought to be able to squeeze it
    in somewhere. Next time I'm going to install two parking brake valves in the pressure lines so I don't have to hold opposite brake to put one wheel down for turning. Jake

A friend has the independent ski-down valves in his 180 on AirGlides. I was tempted to do it with my 180 but never got around to it. I doubt you'll need it in the Cub. The tails are pretty easy to lighten with some down elevator and a bit of thrust. They steer very well compared to Cessnas.

Thanks for all your advice. I had a Supercub in the 70s which I operated on the manual version of the Fluidyne hydraulic wheel ski. Been so long, I can't remember the model of that ski. Many sets were available military surplus. I do remember the cub turned easily compared to the 170B.
    You asked about my pump. It is an AN6201-1 made by Gladden Products many years ago. I replaced all the internal seals which are either hard or soft O-rings. Those pumps are a work of art inside. Be nice to find similiar quality today. Jake

My -12 had the pump mounted on the right side panel forward of the door, essentially in the mirror position of the throttle. I'll be motivated to do the same in my next Cub. It was out of the way enough that I never removed it during summer months. Very comfortable to use, too. That pump was produced by Republic and if memory serves Parker now produces the same pump and a couple of variants that are smaller. I look forward to the experimental category!

Good luck with the new airplane.

Does anyone know if FliteLite 3000s have enough clearance, with the slide fully retracted, to accept 8:50 Tires? Thanks, Jake

No. In certified form they require 800x6 tires. You'd need to carve out for tire clearance and with that I'm not sure how the arms would fit or how the added height would impact the plates closing/downward ski travel. As it is most FliLites I've seen wear away the trailing edge of the closure plates from wear on the tire in wheels down position with 800s. 850s would require shortening up the plates. I wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by stewartb; 04-10-2013 at 11:27 AM.