Thread: Aileron cable tension

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Aileron cable tension

Hey y'all: I was out getting my BFR a couple of days ago. Turns out that the CFI is also an A&P. Whilst we were doing slow flight (he was impressed ) he noted that the aileron cables (the ones running up the strut) were quite loose. We are theorizing that the ailerons float some in slow flight, imparting some looseness into the cables.

On further exam (on the ground), the cables feel to have around 15 pounds of tension in them (his estimation).

So tell me...is there a spec for the cable tension? I can't find it in the maintenance manual. Anybody note the looseness in slow flight?

Comments?

Jim

Default Re: Aileron cable tension

Jim,
    take a look at this thread. http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...ighlight=Cable

Tony

Also, cable tension is listed in section 5.2 (7) in the CC11-160 maintenance manual rev C.

Tony

Thanks, Tony:

I don't have any sort of a buzzing, but you are right, the aileron tension was buried in there. I also found it in maintenance manual...thanks for the reference. Clearly we need to tighten it up a bit.

Thanks again!!

Jim

The amount of tension doesn't seem to be the only factor in the whippy cables. In a high AOA climb they will still do it on my plane at times. I wrapped my cables with plastic spiral wire wrap for about a 12" section between guides to keep them from hitting the strut hard.

I think a larger hole in the guides would eliminate the whip. Or one more guide evenly spaced.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Sometimes that can be a sign of a prop that needs balancing or a spinner wobbling too. Especially if it is the inboard section or two and changes with RPM.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks, Dan...and for Pete. I think we are discussing two issues. The first was my aileron tension. It had loosened up and while there were not obvious control issues, I suppose that eventually there would be the risk of flutter in the ailerons. The whipping of the cables on my airplane are not at all a problem right now.

On the other hand, as recounted by Dan and to my experience, during slow flight...high AoA flight...there is a marked sag in the aileron cable...and that is in BOTH of the aileron cables (bottom cables)...bilateral, if you will. We (my instructor and I) are theorizing that at high AoA flight the ailerons are floating up (?) loosening the cables. Not an issue for control, not an issue of whippy...just the actual sag of the cables...on both sides...was noticeable.

Jim