Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensenich comp prop vibrations?

Default Sensenich comp prop vibrations?

I am going to throw this out there for feedback

I have the Sensenich Composite Ground adjustable prop on my Sport Cub. I have around 900 hrs on this prop. I absolutely love the enhanced performance and the immediate thrust this prop provides especially in STOL situations.

I discovered a broken prop hub bolt at around 450 hrs m/l of use and just recently discovered another broken bolt at around 900 hrs m/l of use. It is actually the same hole.

In the beginning I gradually picked up a vibration, after the bolt broke and Sensenich rebuilt the hubs when the vibration started to develop again I had the prop balanced successfully, however after awhile the vibration started again.When I had 7AK down to catch up on all the CC bulletins last Summer I sent the prop and hub back to Sensenich and they graciously rebuilt the prop and hubs at no charge! No vibration for the first 50 hrs after the rebuild but now I have a vibration along with finding a broken hub bolt again. I had the bolt extracted by a machine shop and re-installed the hub and prop; test flew it and still have a vibration.

During the time between 450 hrs of use and 700 hrs I had multiple mag issues i.e. broken shaft, spring broken, parts coming loose etc. There was some rumor of the vibration from this prop on other sport cubs possibly causing mag problems.

I also have had some apparent cartridge wear, don't know yet if that has effected performance or not.

Sensenich have very responsive to my issues and supportive. They are working on the issues.

What I am looking for is information to provide them and me to see if any of you other comp prop users have had similar or any other issues?
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Default Re: Sensenich comp prop vibrations?

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    I am going to throw this out there for feedback

I have the Sensenich Composite Ground adjustable prop on my Sport Cub. I have around 900 hrs on this prop. I absolutely love the enhanced performance and the immediate thrust this prop provides especially in STOL situations.

I discovered a broken prop hub bolt at around 450 hrs m/l of use and just recently discovered another broken bolt at around 900 hrs m/l of use. It is actually the same hole.

In the beginning I gradually picked up a vibration, after the bolt broke and Sensenich rebuilt the hubs when the vibration started to develop again I had the prop balanced successfully, however after awhile the vibration started again.When I had 7AK down to catch up on all the CC bulletins last Summer I sent the prop and hub back to Sensenich and they graciously rebuilt the prop and hubs at no charge! No vibration for the first 50 hrs after the rebuild but now I have a vibration along with finding a broken hub bolt again. I had the bolt extracted by a machine shop and re-installed the hub and prop; test flew it and still have a vibration.

During the time between 450 hrs of use and 700 hrs I had multiple mag issues i.e. broken shaft, spring broken, parts coming loose etc. There was some rumor of the vibration from this prop on other sport cubs possibly causing mag problems.

I also have had some apparent cartridge wear, don't know yet if that has effected performance or not.

Sensenich have very responsive to my issues and supportive. They are working on the issues.

What I am looking for is information to provide them and me to see if any of you other comp prop users have had similar or any other issues?

Hi Geo my friend. When I owned my S2 I had the same problems with broken hub bolts and Sensenich was VERY helpful and replaced the Hub. Just make sure you have the latest version of the HUB????? If you need more info I have lots, so give me a call as too long to type the info here. best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    ...There was some rumor of the vibration from this prop on other sport cubs possibly causing mag problems...
    The vibration issue was tied to aircraft with Bendix magnetos, Sensenich ground adjustable prop, and the O-200 engine. The affected aircraft owners were notified and the issue resolved. Aircraft S/N 00001 - 00020 were built with Slick magnetos.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Sloon View Post
    The vibration issue was tied to aircraft with Bendix magnetos, Sensenich ground adjustable prop, and the O-200 engine. The affected aircraft owners were notified and the issue resolved. Aircraft S/N 00001 - 00020 were built with Slick magnetos.
    Thanks Adam that is very good information and helps!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Additionally, you can tell which magnetos you have installed (besides opening the cowling) by the paperwork. The first engines with Slick magnetos are model #O200A83B, while the later engines with Bendix magnetos are model #O200A88B.

Good Morning, Adam;

I have a customer here in Atlanta with Sport Cub S/N CC11-00059, and he's been waiting to hear from Continental regarding the change from Bendix to Slick mags. No contact as of this past weekend. Can you give me an update? Thank you.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

If the customer is wanting to switch to the Slick magnetos, we have already had a customer make that change. The MRA is already written up and can be modified for any Sport Cub that wants to make the changes.

If you are wanting more information as to the vibration issue from Continental's standpoint, I am not in contact with them. All that I know is there were vibration issues with the O-200D which they dealt with, but were unsure if the same issue would arise in the O-200A due to the difference in crankshafts. The testing to identify the issue involves considerable instrumentation of the engine and is not something that is normally done, even in a Part 23 program. Sensenich had also changed the layup of their propeller to help with the vibration issue.

Continental, on their own, have inspected customer aircraft and determined the magnetos to be in good shape and offer that the first sign of a problem is fretting on the drive gears. The customer who replaced his magnetos had a failure of the left magneto rotor, though the engine was still operational on the right one. Customers (a couple with aircraft over 1500 hours) with the same combination of equipment were notified with no other issues reported.

Let me know if that does not answer your question.

Adam, please email me with your email address as I want to send you some info on my issues. Geo@cubdriving.com
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Anyone have a update on how the Sensenich / Slick mag combination is holding up?

Thanks,
    Paul K.

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Anyone have a update on how the Sensenich / Slick mag combination is holding up?

Thanks,
    Paul K.

Mine seems to be holding up pretty well.I had my slick mags installed 7/24/13, total time was 306 hrs.
    Just completed my annual at 417 hrs total time. Have not had any issues up to now, the hub bolts have been fine, torque staying the same, no mag issues. I plan to continue operation with my Sensenich prop.

Don Lake