Thread: Uneven EGT's

Default Uneven EGT's

My engine has always run uneven EGT's.
    The number 4 cylinder is always 100/150 degrees colder (rich) than the other cylinders.
    The CHT is also lower.
    Does anyone else have the same results? How about a solution?
    I know that carbs do not provide even fuel distribution but this difference bugs me.
    Bill

Default Re: Uneven EGTs

It's not uncommon to see uneven EGTs, which often results in uneven CHTs. Typically the front two cylinders track together as do the back two cylinders.

If one cylinder is really standing out, esp if its a high EGT I would do a close inspection for an intake leak. Any staining at either end of the intake tube would be cause to pull the intake tube and replace the o-ring on the cylinder end and the shrink tubing on the sump end.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Default Re: Uneven EGT's

Thanks Pete
    My problem is rich/cold not lean.
    I was just wondering if 100/150 degree difference was unusual on one cylinder.

Anyone else have this?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Thanks Pete
    My problem is rich/cold not lean.
    I was just wondering if 100/150 degree difference was unusual on one cylinder.

Anyone else have this?
    Bill
    Until yesterday my egts were quite close. Hottest to coldest spread was less than 30 degrees.
    Returning from Grassroots yesterday the number one cylinder went 100 degrees cooler as I got near home. I will look at it tomorrow.

By the way, over lean could also result in lower egt and cht on the lean side of peak. Pete's advice could still apply. I will let you know what I find.

Carl

Bill,

My problem is a probe. No help here.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by carlconti View Post
    Until yesterday my egts were quite close. Hottest to coldest spread was less than 30 degrees.
    Returning from Grassroots yesterday the number one cylinder went 100 degrees cooler as I got near home. I will look at it tomorrow.

By the way, over lean could also result in lower egt and cht on the lean side of peak. Pete's advice could still apply. I will let you know what I find.

Carl