Thread: Flap Lever P-18

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flap Lever P-18

I just started flying a P-18 and am wondering if anyone has any trick to using full flaps when your a little taller? Is there any different types of optional levers? When the flaps are down it leaves me only a few inches of stick movement with my fat knee in the way. Works fine unless there is any cross wind.

Default Re: Flap Lever P-18

This is one big reason why the flap lever was moved up to the overhead area in the Sport Cub/Carbon Cub.

One trick is to rig the ailerons with the stick slightly off center to the right (maybe 2 or 3 degrees) when the ailerons are neutral.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I've seen flap handles that were shortened. Obviously the pull gets a little harder though when you do that. Your question might get a more full response over at www.supercub.org

I've seen the videos of the CC with the lever up above and that must help a lot. Plus they are already a few inches wider right? For now I just land with one notch of flaps but it would be nice to be able to use more. Its on floats so it tends to slow down quickly but also gets blown sideways really easily. Shortening the lever would help but it would have to be about 5 inches probably. Not sure if I would like the stick off-center. A relocation kit would be great! not sure where it could go easily though.

Thanks for the response.

Those are your only options in a certified SuperCub really, and even then you'd have to get approval to shorten. Your mileage may vary based on your A&P and his relationship with the Feds.

If you are experimental you could look at a relocation, but really you would want to do it during the build or re-build cuz your going to be moving a lot of stuff around.

Ask the sc.org guys or run a search on that website. This topic has been discussed over there a number of times over the years.

At least i'm not the only one. I think for the time i'll just use one notch. I like the right offset idea but i'm not the only one who fly s it. I'm about to get my float rating in it so i'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Those are your only options in a certified SuperCub really, and even then you'd have to get approval to shorten. Your mileage may vary based on your A&P and his relationship with the Feds.

If you are experimental you could look at a relocation, but really you would want to do it during the build or re-build cuz your going to be moving a lot of stuff around.

Ask the sc.org guys or run a search on that website. This topic has been discussed over there a number of times over the years.