Thread: Saib: Ne-13-06

Default Saib: Ne-13-06

Carbon CubOwners

Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB) NE-13-06 was issued on November 21, 2012. It refers to Engine Components International (ECi) Service Instruction No. 12-1 issued October 29, 2012. Both are attached as PDF's. I spoke with JB from ECi about the applicability of SI 12-1 for the CC-340 engine. JB explained that the .032 spring clips were phased out appox. three years ago. The first Carbon Cub delivered in July of 2009 so the potential of an early serial number Carbon Cub having these springs does exist. JB said that failures of these springs would occur very early in the engine's life and most if not all were discovered during engine manufacturing. JB further explained evidence of oil leaking from the pushrod tubes would be observed if there was a spring failure. JB suggests there is little chance any Carbon Cub engines are affected and recommends checking for evidence of oil leaks as a preventative measure. ECi is offering replacement parts at no charge if necessary. Please contact me or JB (210-820-8100) with ECi if your have any questions or concerns.

Regards

Jeff Glab

Customer Support Manager
    509-248-9491 ext. 126

Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Saib: Ne-13-06

Carbon Cub Owners

Engine Components International (ECi) issued Rev 1 to Service Instruction No. 12-1 on 11/30/12. It is attached as a PDF. Under section 3.0 APPLICABILITY it now states, "These parts were sold from January of 2004 to July of 2010." This being the case, the potential of these springs being installed would include Carbon Cubs through about SN CC11-00140.

Regards

Jeff Glab
    Customer Support Manager
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Jeff
    Wouldn't you know---- I have SN 134.
    $H!T
    Are you mailing copies of the service letter?
    Bill

Bill

Regrettably, the possibility does exist your aircraft engine may have the thinner springs installed. A convenient time to verify this would be the next oil change. By the end of next week the ECi service instruction should be posted on the Owner Support page of our website under 3rd-Party Support Documents. It is also attached to my previous post to this forum thread.

Regards

Jeff Glab
    Customer Support Manager

I ordered a set of retainers from ECI and they arrived today.
    I had hoped to install them over the weekend but it's much too cold in my unheated hangar.
    It was 9dF last night.
    I think I will wait till my condition inspection coming up in the spring since I am going to Florida on Monday.

The parts from ECI arrived promptly although their order process is awkward.
    ECI included new retainers and clips as well as new rocker cover gaskets.
    That should be everything needed.

I will post how long it takes to install the new parts when we get to it.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post

ECI included new retainers and clips as well as new rocker cover gaskets.
    That should be everything needed.

Bill
    Yep, that should be all you need. I think you will be surprised how quick they are to swap out but I wouldn't want to do it in a hanger that was in the single digits for temperature either!
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc