Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Skin Installation - Some tips

Default Leading Edge Skin Installation - Some tips

After all your hard work to get to this stage of the Wing build, the installation of the leading edge skins is when your wing really starts looking like a wing! It's a lot of fun and can be really rewarding.

I do not consider myself an expert of any stage of my CCEX build but I have learned some things that made the job go well and the final product turn out pretty nice. So I thought I would share some of the things I learned.

Again, I don't claim to have the market cornered on the best procedure but hope these few things help you get your leading edge skins on successfully.

1) Before you proceed with the skins, drill the second hole in the nose ribs. It sure makes that hole a lot easier to find. Mark them with a string-line right across all the nose ribs and then drill the holes. All you have to do is match drill from the underside and thats a lot easier than marking and drilling the nose rib from the bottom. The string line gives you a very nice straight row of rivets down the length of the wing.

2) Secondly, BEFORE hanging the first skin, if you want to make your life easier finding hole number one at the top of the skin down into the nose ribs, be sure to mark AND MEASURE the location of the non-main nose ribs. If you’re not right on with your hole placement, the rib will tip or slide away from your drill. Measuring from the nearest main rib to the center of the non-main rib makes it easy to hit those ribs right where you want to.

3) Use your spring clamps to hang the skin off the spar and then ease your first wood clamp on as close to the middle of the skin but staying clear of your hole location. Put the clamp bolts in place but DO NOT tighten the first one until all other clamps are installed. I used four clamps on every skin. Got a little crowded in a few bays but makes a real nice job when you get all 4 clamps on.

4) Once all the clamps are on, start back at the center and start tightening the top AND bottom wing nuts gradually. The skin will snug right up to the ribs as you get close to full tight and moving back and forth between all 4 clamps and tightening gradually will make this job easy and very rewarding.

5) Take a look at the gap between the wood cutout and the skin. You’ll see a very slight gap at the very bottom of the leading edge….an area about 2” back from the bottom edge. Don’t worry about this if you can’t get it out, just so long as you are consistent right across the whole wing, both wings.

6) Finger tight is not the most accurate measure of “torque” but that’s where to stop. Don’t use any kind of tool on your wing nuts…just finger tight is perfect. (and I did get the bottom to snug to within 1/32nd of the bottom of the nose rib).

7) Leave all the clamps on until all the rivets are installed (except for the inboard edge rivets which you’ll put in once the next skin is overlapped and in place).

8) After you’ve finished the first skin, move to the next skin but leave the one inboard clamp in place until you’ve installed a clamp right next to the joint of the skins which will then hold the overlapped skin in place.

9) One other thing to be aware of is if your clamp is right in the middle of a space between ribs you risk over stressing the skin over the adjacent ribs. Having a slight “transfer” of the line of the ribs show up on the skin is normal but the closer you can place the skin to the ribs the better off and happier you’ll be.

10) Be sure the clamp blocks are seated right up against the inboard side of the spar.

11) Be sure the down turn of the skin is perfectly vertical and tight to the inside surface of the spar when clamped. This puts the bottom edge of this flange dead on the line of the bottom of the spar edge and makes it easier to hit the spar in the correct center location away from the bulb and the radius.

12) Be extremely careful when installing the final rivets in through the skin and into the inboard side of the spar. I kept close track of my time through this process and when tallying up the time to clamp, measure, mark, double check, drill, debur and rivet, it worked out to about 3 minutes a hole. Trust me, this 3 minutes and any time you spend being careful around the spar will be the most important time you spend on your wings.

I hope this helps and look forward to seeing things added to this list that can make this process increasingly easy for the next builders.

Default Re: Leading Edge Skin Installation - Some tips

Thanks for the post Paul. Just starting my skins now. Do you have any photos to help demonstrate what you are saying?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

If I can answer any questions please call. 330-727-0043. Would also like to keep track of your clamps when you are done. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Thanks for the post Paul. Just starting my skins now. Do you have any photos to help demonstrate what you are saying?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Hey Gregg, I've checked my pics and they show general location of the clamps but nothing really specific to the notes I posted. Once you're into it with clamps in hand I think these points will make some sense. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call at 602 722-6300.

Thanks for the offers of help. I think I just spooked myself because there was so much written about the skins. Between the directions, the hints on the forum and Mitch, it ended up going pretty well. I had one nose rib decide to go sideways which created some excitement, but that was easily fixed. I hope to free up some leading edge clamps in a couple of weeks.

Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

I have Clamps available 352-804-7931

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Corrado View Post
    I have Clamps available 352-804-7931
    I'm finished with them now
    316-708-2489

I am not far from start of leading edge skins. The Avery CubCrafters tool kit included the #1145 Drill Kit package shown in the photo below. I assume the jig is used to accurately position holes in the spar cap area for the leading edge skin top edge rivets in Section 32 page 132 of the High Gwt Extended Fuel Wing Manual. I'm sure it's to drill above and avoid the bulb in the spar cap area.

What is the narrow slot or channel in the tool to be used for if anything at all? The skin should be square or flush with the bottom of the Spar Cap Bulb? Correct?

I would appreciate any detail.

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

Thanks
    Jim Morrical

Jim

Been a while since I put on the skins, but if memory serves me correctly, that tool is used as a drilling guide on the back side of the skins where they rivet to the vertical portion of the spar cap. The slot is to provide clearance for the small portion of the skin that may extend below the vertical portion of the spar cap. The guide rests against the bottom of the vertical portion of the spar cap against the spar bulb.

You will be very glad you got it.

Be sure to use a drill stop as well.

The function of the tool is to prevent hitting the spar bulb, referenced many times in the manual and illustrated on photo 020.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Jim:

Just found this picture. Perhaps it may help.

DSC_0319.jpg

Here is a link to a post I did over at Supercub.org which has more tips. Scroll down to the April 27, 2014 post "12 Tips".

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ild-Blog/page2