Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leading Edge Skin Installation - Some tips

Default Re: Leading Edge Skin Installation - Some tips

Troy,

A few entries back you said this:
    Be very accurate on drilling the two holes for the nut plates on each end. They have to hit the center of the rib below or the nut plate will not work. You need cap strips on first though before drilling that hole.
    Are you talking about the four nut plates on the drawing at Page 162 / Figure W54 of the extended fuel wing manual? A note in the lower left side of the drawing says "locate nut plate on underside of top flange of rib".

I don't know what they are used for or how they are to be positioned exactly. Are they just to fasten the corners of the fuel bay covers down? There is one in each corner of the fuel bay construction. The drawing shows some holes thru skin, cap strip and rib while other holes are only thru cap strip and rib. Some holes don't have edge distance or are at material edges. Will I match drill to the threaded hole to secure the fuel bay cover some time down line?

What do you know?

IMG_5203.jpg

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-31-2015 at 11:24 AM.

The cover does not have any holes. It need to be drilled with a hole finder after the wing is rigged. The holes will not work out otherwise.

The nut plates I am talking about is at the corners of the tank cover. They need to fit in the valley of the rib flange. They just fit. If you stay closer to the outside of the rib flange you can flatten the flange with a squeezer to make it work. If you are to close to the rib web, the nut plate will not fit. You could use a different nut plate if it came to that. You can only drill the ones for the forward tank corners until the tank is in. Draw a line up where the other nut plates are an you should be good. I installed all cap strips before the LE skins. Not sure why the manual has it in the order it has, I think that makes it all easier.

Do to drill the nut plates or any top holes for the aft tank skin SC310039-001. You need the tank in first with the straps tight. The aft spar bends and you will not have this cover straight. You only drill and rivet it to spar at this time.

Tony,

You said:
    One thing that is new in my kit is a doubler for the door latch.
    Is this on the right wing to secure the cockpit door open? I have Kit #110 and wonder if I have it. How you learned you had this as part of your kit?

Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    Tony,

You said:

Is this on the right wing to secure the cockpit door open? I have Kit #110 and wonder if I have it. How you learned you had this as part of your kit?

Jim Morrical

It is for the latch on each window. I found the part and asked Mitch what it was for as I could not find it on any drawing. It is long enough to fasten from rib to rib and about 2" wide. There is a small flange on it to stiffen it up on its length. My kit is an Ex2 shipped the end of July. My kit is CCK-1865-1008.

Question on installing the skins. The 2nd skin (from outboard wingtip) has an overlap of 1-1/2" (from the outside of the #9 rib) going outboard. This seems like alot. Do you just leave that overlap over the 1st outboard skin or do you trim it back? (Mitch at Osh and unavailable it seems)

Skin overlap.jpg

[QUOTE=Daveembry;16486]Question on installing the skins. The 2nd skin (from outboard wingtip) has an overlap of 1-1/2" (from the outside of the #9 rib) going outboard. This seems like alot. Do you just leave that overlap over the 1st outboard skin or do you trim it back? (Mitch at Osh and unavailable it seems)

Dave, it has been a while since I finish that. As I remember there was no trimming necessary.
    Steve

[QUOTE=Steve Corrado;16487]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Question on installing the skins. The 2nd skin (from outboard wingtip) has an overlap of 1-1/2" (from the outside of the #9 rib) going outboard. This seems like alot. Do you just leave that overlap over the 1st outboard skin or do you trim it back? (Mitch at Osh and unavailable it seems)

Dave, it has been a while since I finish that. As I remember there was no trimming necessary.
    Steve
    Yeah, in rereading again the manual, in preparations for the lights section......it says to trim it next to rib #6 (which is the right side rib of the landing light. I guess I should have just aligned it on the right with the outboard edge of the rib and then trimmed the left side excess. I just started out aligning it with that rib on the left side and let the excess be on the right but I don't know if the 1-1/2 inch past the rib is too far. Now that I've drilled it already that way, I guess I'll just trim the right side.

Concerning the Figure W48 on Page 147 in the Wing Manual about the installation of bottom rivets on the leading edge. There is an instruction that says 3X INLINE ALONG WING SPAN. If I read that correctly, only 3 rivets along the entire bottom wing span seems entirely inadequate, there must be an explanation for this, but reading ahead, I cannot find it.
    If there are only 3 rivets to be installed, there are obviously some which are more critical than others.
    Are there others to be installed later?

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    Concerning the Figure W48 on Page 147 in the Wing Manual about the installation of bottom rivets on the leading edge. There is an instruction that says 3X INLINE ALONG WING SPAN. If I read that correctly, only 3 rivets along the entire bottom wing span seems entirely inadequate, there must be an explanation for this, but reading ahead, I cannot find it.
    If there are only 3 rivets to be installed, there are obviously some which are more critical than others.
    Are there others to be installed later?
    No, that is referring to putting 3 rivets in the nose skin in the 3 places they are showing on the diagram FOR EACH RIB/NOSE RIB. So you will have 3 in EACH ONE all the way down the rib.

Three rivets per rib. Make sure your skins are contacting the ribs all the way around. Skins and ribs are straight before drilling.