Thread: Geezers and LSA wrecks

Default Geezers and LSA wrecks

Does that mean we are all Geezers now? Great article in Aviation Consumer Digest this month. 7AK made the article!

LSA Geezers.jpg
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Default Re: Geezers and LSA wrecks

Anyone that wants to read the entire article can download it from here:

http://flightdesign.com/files/Media/...0Accidents.pdf

Tony

Default Re: Geezers and LSA wrecks

Fascinating article. It validates my long-held assumptions, and underscores the wisdom of buying a CubCrafters LSA.

When I decided to go the LSA route, I wanted one that looked, flew and was built like a "real" airplane (reasonable or not, i didn't want an airplane that looked like it was designed by Pixar ). That narrowed the field down to the Cub clones, and of those CC unquestionably offered the best features and quality. Of course buying a Cub meant I'd finally -- after 40 years of flying -- have to learn how to fly a taildragger, and I'm now very glad I did.

It's apples-and-oranges for the Cubs to be included in the Aviation Consumer safety study, since they are so different from the "modern" LSAs. But it's interesting, especially since Aviation Consumer focuses so much attention on runway-loss-of-control events, that the taildragger CCs have a better accident rate than all but two of the "modern" tri-gear LSAs. This is no doubt a function of CC's emphasis on proper training, and proven, sturdy construction. Also, since these are taildraggers, pilots probably more readily realize that they need to bring their 'A' game on every takeoff and landing, and have a more realistic sense of the airplane's limitations as far as wind conditions are concerned.
    Last edited by Pilawt; 11-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180