Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing build questions.

Default Wing build questions.

When is it ok to rivet the bottom of rib 8? I squeezed the top and bottom rivets and can't find directions when to finish riveting it to the spar.

Next, how much slack should I leave at the wing attach point for the wing tip light and ldg light wires?

where does the orange ground wire go? The instructions in the light kit and wing kit do not say.

How much slack should I leave for the pitot static tubing at the jury strut and at the wing attachment point?

I am having trouble deciphering the false rib diagram. (Tiny confusing diagram) where does the cutout go? Up, down, inboard?

Wing leading edge instructions infer the skins are drilled and riveted without deburring...is that correct?

It is too early to ask Mitch so I was hoping some of you could help me out....stupid time zones.

Thanks. Jake

Default Re: Wing build questions.

Is there wiring for the stall warning? If so, which wires and should it get run along the front spar prior to the leading edge skins going on?

Jake

(would like to finish the left wing this weekend so I can go deer hunting)

Jake

Good questions.

1. You will have a wiring harness for the left wing and in that harness is a 4 wire bundle that goes to the Nav/Strobe light, a two wire bundle that goes to the landing light, a single long orange wire that goes to the stall warning switch(#9 main rib bay), and a short orange wire that goes from the stall warning switch to the web of the front spar. All of the wiring should attach to the front side of the front spar. You should leave about 4" of wire extended past the front spar attach fitting. Make sure there is enough wire at the other end to connect the Nav/Strobe light, landing light, and stall warning switch before you lock the wire in place. The short stall warning wire will attach to the spar web using the ring terminal and a stainless SS42 rivet. When placing the rivet hole location make sure the two spade connector ends end up in the same place(long and short wire).
    2. The pitot tubing that attaches to the back side of the front spar should extend 4" to 6" past the front spar attach fitting and 4" to 6" past the jury strut attach fitting.
    3. Attach the bottom of the #8 rib after you have squeezed the AN3 rivets that attach the nose rib to the main rib.
    4. The #2 false rib has the cutouts facing up to allow more clearance for the 1 1/8" fuel tank transfer tubes and should be centered between the front and rear spars.
    5. Typically the rivet holes for the leading edge skin attach are not deburred. That being said, some of the builders are predrilling the center hole in the nose rib and match drilling it after the skins are on. There are 3 rivets in each nose rib, the top and bottom rivets are easy to locate but the center rivet can be more challenging and is easy to match drill using a 12" drill bit after the skins are on. if you use this technique then you will want to deburr the center hole.

Good luck hunting.
    Mitch

Thanks Mitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Jake

Good questions.

1. You will have a wiring harness for the left wing and in that harness is a 4 wire bundle that goes to the Nav/Strobe light, a two wire bundle that goes to the landing light, a single long orange wire that goes to the stall warning switch(#9 main rib bay), and a short orange wire that goes from the stall warning switch to the web of the front spar. All of the wiring should attach to the front side of the front spar. You should leave about 4" of wire extended past the front spar attach fitting. Make sure there is enough wire at the other end to connect the Nav/Strobe light, landing light, and stall warning switch before you lock the wire in place. The short stall warning wire will attach to the spar web using the ring terminal and a stainless SS42 rivet. When placing the rivet hole location make sure the two spade connector ends end up in the same place(long and short wire).
    2. The pitot tubing that attaches to the back side of the front spar should extend 4" to 6" past the front spar attach fitting and 4" to 6" past the jury strut attach fitting.
    3. Attach the bottom of the #8 rib after you have squeezed the AN3 rivets that attach the nose rib to the main rib.
    4. The #2 false rib has the cutouts facing up to allow more clearance for the 1 1/8" fuel tank transfer tubes and should be centered between the front and rear spars.
    5. Typically the rivet holes for the leading edge skin attach are not deburred. That being said, some of the builders are predrilling the center hole in the nose rib and match drilling it after the skins are on. There are 3 rivets in each nose rib, the top and bottom rivets are easy to locate but the center rivet can be more challenging and is easy to match drill using a 12" drill bit after the skins are on. if you use this technique then you will want to deburr the center hole.

Good luck hunting.
    Mitch
    The wiring harness I have also has another short orange wire that appears to be a ground wire, attached just before the end of the nav/strobe lights (the wire it just spliced into the 4-wires right at the wing tip). Is this another ground wire like the one at the stall warning switch? If so, where do you install it? It isn't long enough to get back to the spar web.

Also, if you have strobe, wig-wag option.....do you need any other wires going out to the wingtip?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    The wiring harness I have also has another short orange wire that appears to be a ground wire, attached just before the end of the nav/strobe lights (the wire it just spliced into the 4-wires right at the wing tip). Is this another ground wire like the one at the stall warning switch? If so, where do you install it? It isn't long enough to get back to the spar web.

Also, if you have strobe, wig-wag option.....do you need any other wires going out to the wingtip?

Dave did you get an answer to this? I also have a short orange ground wire at the wing tip that needs a home.
    Thanks
    David

I just replaced photo 179 in both online wing manuals to show the wing tip ground using the predrilled hole.

Great! Thank you Mitch. That certainly helps.

While you're at it figure W35 shows incorrect inboard skin. Should be SC31028-001
    W46 seems correct.

David

Whoa wait, I've looked in all the totes and can not find an "AN530-4R4".
    Where does that come from?
    David

Done