Thread: how to start a cold carbon cub

Default how to start a cold carbon cub

I got in my new cc today and almost didn't get it started. It was about 40 degrees and the starter would hardly turn it over. Battery was on its last leg when I finally got it to fire. I had pumped the primer four times. Too much or not enough? It needs to start better than that.

Default Re: how to start a cold carbon cub

The primer only primes one cylinder. I've found it more effective to give it about two pumps of the throttle right as you hit start with the key, then have the throttle about 1 width of the throttle lever forward. If it doesn't catch right away I open the throttle a bit more slowly and usually if its turning over it will roar to life. If its 40* or so I'll do the same thing but give that one cylinder a couple shots of the primer first.

If you pump the throttle and let it sit that fuel runs back out of the intake system and into the carb air box and cowling, that is why I do it right before or as I start turning it over so it gets sucked up the intakes into the cylinders.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    I got in my new cc today and almost didn't get it started. It was about 40 degrees and the starter would hardly turn it over. Battery was on its last leg when I finally got it to fire. I had pumped the primer four times. Too much or not enough? It needs to start better than that.
    With temp. around 35 or 40, I give it only two shots with the primer then two short pumps on the throttle just before turning the key start. In cool weather, I also keep a BatteryMinder (#12248 with temperature compensation) on the battery 24/7 to keep it at peak performance.

Kelly
    CarbonCubSS #206

Quote Originally Posted by kelly88 View Post
    With temp. around 35 or 40, I give it only two shots with the primer then two short pumps on the throttle just before turning the key start. In cool weather, I also keep a BatteryMinder (#12248 with temperature compensation) on the battery 24/7 to keep it at peak performance.

Kelly
    CarbonCubSS #206
    thanks for the advice, I'll try that and see if it does better. I'm going to try to make one of those heaters, too. That will keep my cc up and running, I hope!

A good pre-heat will most certainly be your best bet. I've always pumped throttle twice after initiating the start and it usually lights right off.

Back in the old days with the SPORT CUBs (2006-ish), delivering them in the winter, it was not uncommon to need a jump start from a car and a set of cables, seat unlatched and swung forward, standing outside the door like a J-3 while you crank, freezing your butt off. That was with the original lead acid battery...I don't think it is advised with the new style batteries so I don't advise trying it. but if you have the older lead acid type it would work in a pinch.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 10-30-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    A good pre-heat will most certainly be your best bet. I've always pumped throttle twice after initiating the start and it usually lights right off.

Back in the old days with the SPORT CUBs (2006-ish), delivering them in the winter, it was not uncommon to need a jump start from a car and a set of cables, seat unlatched and swung forward, standing outside the door like a J-3 while you crank, freezing your butt off. That was with the original lead acid battery...I don't think it is advised with the new style batteries so I don't advise trying it. but if you have the older lead acid type it would work in a pinch.
    Correct, not a good idea with electronic ignition. Having a battery in good condition is more critical with dual electronic ignition.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Correct, not a good idea with electronic ignition. Having a battery in good condition is more critical with dual electronic ignition.
    Thanks to all for the good advice. two pumps on the primer, two pumps on the throttle and she started right off this morning. It wasn't real cold, around 40, but it started a lot better than it had the morning before.

$ 180,000.00 for the airplane, and I hand prop it when below 50 degrees.