Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jake's CarbonCub build.

Default Re: Jake's CarbonCub build.

Squaring the wing....it took me two tries to figure this out. The big gotcha for me was making sure to loosen the drag wires not in play to get it square. (finger tight at the start may prevent movement) The manual has you put on the two nose ribs for a guide for the string, then it has you use the aft spar to square it up. (I used both)

DON'T LOCKTITE the most inboard drag nuts....they need to come off later to install the fuel tank.

Sect 17/18, Pulley brackets and rear spar support. I marked two lines for drill placement using a small square so I wouldn't nick the spar web or bulb. Using the spar end at the wing attach point is a quick way to set the square so your marks are dead on. I lined up the holes on the support strip and the lines I drew on the spar.

Leave clecos in the holes you are not supposed to rivet yet...they get flush riveted later so the aft pulley bracket can ride on top in Sect 20.

Don't cotter key the pulley when aligning the aileron pulley bracket. (I followed the diagram and didn't use common sense) The aileron cable gets installed later. Dad pointed that out.

Tail ribs went quick, be careful with the false spar riveting...don't get carried away and rivet the ends that shouldn't get riveted until Sect 41 when the cap strips get installed...The EAA "hints for home builders" has a nice little video on how to properly drill out a pop rivet when you forget. The Sharpie is your friend, or some tape over the spot.

My advise, don't rivet around double ribs or machined ribs until you reread the manual, check the diagrams and look ahead to where the clips and cap strips go.

i know the right wing will go much quicker.

Sect 25. A Dremel tool worked great cutting the tab on nose rib 8.5 (this along with the hole is to fit over the drag wire assembly)

I marked and cut the tails on the nose ribs that don't connect to a center rib. (Nose skins will attach to the back of the front spar) I clecoed them on, marked them, removed, cut, deburred/filed smooth then installed with rivets. The big red print in the manual scared me. As did photo 161.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After you square the nose ribs, Sect 26 says install wing wires and pitot tube. These were answered in another thread. I'm sure a manual update will clear this up.

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...ighlight=Pitot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by c130jake; 12-07-2012 at 08:05 PM.