Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudder Pedal Spring

Default Rudder Pedal Spring

I have had my second rudder pedal spring break. It is a small item and since I was going flying we just got a hardware store version. How many others have had this spring break? It sure is a difficult one to replace. Hard to get your head under the panel, and hard to pull the spring to get it in the proper position. How about instead of a clamp on the firewall tube, put a heavy weight washer with a hole drilled in it for the spring? That would be a lot easier to attach to for the next time it breaks. With students this area sees a lot of wear, and I guess I am lucky that each side has only broken once in 500 hours.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Default Re: Rudder Pedal Spring

None yet. I have almost 400 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    I have had my second rudder pedal spring break. It is a small item and since I was going flying we just got a hardware store version. How many others have had this spring break? It sure is a difficult one to replace. Hard to get your head under the panel, and hard to pull the spring to get it in the proper position. How about instead of a clamp on the firewall tube, put a heavy weight washer with a hole drilled in it for the spring? That would be a lot easier to attach to for the next time it breaks. With students this area sees a lot of wear, and I guess I am lucky that each side has only broken once in 500 hours.

Hey Diana, I have had at least 3 maybe 4 rudder springs break and thats over 1200 hrs. Always seem to be the left side for some reason. If I remember correctly Jim Richmand prefers no springs on the rudders pedals. In flight you really can't tell but on preflight its obvious..I agree its a pain in the butt to fix.

Every day is a fly day in AZ!

Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Two broken left side both times.
    Rich

Has anyone by chance filled out a report for this?

While we do constantly monitor the forums to give input and receive feedback, there is a dedicated form for issues like this. What is titled the Continued Operational Safety (COS) report, also know as a Service Difficulty Report (SDR), is our main source of owner feedback on aircraft problems. The document can be found here on the Owner Support page.

This report is part of ours means of complying with ASTM standards for continued airworthiness requirements as the manufacturer. We collect information, track growing trends, and have regular meetings to discuss issues and devise solutions. But we can't do this for issues that haven't been reported. If we don't know it's broken, we can't fix it.

The more owners that fill these forms out, the better for both current aircraft and future ones.

Adam

Good reminder on using the form.

I haven't had one break yet, but looked in the Carbon Cub parts catalog and it shows a part # of SP91004-001. Is this the same part number for the Sport Cub in case we have to order replacements?

Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Sloon View Post
    Has anyone by chance filled out a report for this?

While we do constantly monitor the forums to give input and receive feedback, there is a dedicated form for issues like this. What is titled the Continued Operational Safety (COS) report, also know as a Service Difficulty Report (SDR), is our main source of owner feedback on aircraft problems. The document can be found here on the Owner Support page.

This report is part of ours means of complying with ASTM standards for continued airworthiness requirements as the manufacturer. We collect information, track growing trends, and have regular meetings to discuss issues and devise solutions. But we can't do this for issues that haven't been reported. If we don't know it's broken, we can't fix it.

The more owners that fill these forms out, the better for both current aircraft and future ones.

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post

[...] it shows a part # of SP91004-001. Is this the same part number for the Sport Cub in case we have to order replacements?

Jon
    Jon,

Yes, the spring on the rudder pedals is the same for both the Sport Cub and Carbon Cub.

Junior Member Table Rock Aviation's Avatar

Diana,

I believe I have had one spring break in 1100hrs of usage and I seem to remember it being the right hand spring. We should be passing 1200hrs this December.

Mine just broke today. Left pedal around 400 hr.

Paul K.

Just found both springs broken on the CC180EX. 150hrsTT.