Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down-wind takeoffs

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Re: Down-wind takeoffs

Image 5.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I love the picture of your runway.
    You are very lucky to have such an isolated area to live and play in.
    Where are you exactly, if you don't mind saying?
    Bill
    Thanks, Bill! Yeah, we lucked into this property about 9 years ago and have been building on it ever since. We are on Rowe Mesa New Mexico. If you find NM 92 on Google Maps (or Airnav, for that matter) we are about a mile to the SW from there. We applied for a conditional use permit for the runway at the first of the year and were awarded it in October. We are gonna apply to the FAA for an airport (obviously restricted) first of the year. The folks who set up NM 92 have essentially vacated their airport (couldn't get a conditional use permit from the county) and we're waiting for them to contact the FAA. We are legal for 10 take-offs and landings a month for the next year without FAA approval.

At any rate, that is my retirement house if I ever figger out how to retire!

Above is a picture of the house, we had a guy in a glider land there when he got too low (he landed downhill...was impressed with his brakes, I was...and a friend landed a Maule there last weekend.

Come on by! No landing fees! And the beer's on us!

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Harper; 11-25-2012 at 05:59 AM.

After watching Randy's well done video on take off techniques I thought this might be a good thread to bring back to life. I use a slight modification of Randy's two-notches-of-flaps method. The difference is I push forward on the stick a bit to get the tail wheel off of the ground. And I also have full forward trim rolled in both for landings and for take offs.

I've found this to method allows the CC to get in the air quicker than others I've experimented with. I use it with skis too.

Anyone else like to add to this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Dan L,

Once you get up to speed shortly after takeoff how does the airplane climb out with full nose down trim? I am still building and not flying so I cant check it out for myself. I would think that you would have to use an uncomfortable amount of back pressure on the stick before you could get the trim rolled back? Same question for a go around landing with full nose down trim.

MR

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Dan L,

Once you get up to speed shortly after takeoff how does the airplane climb out with full nose down trim? I am still building and not flying so I cant check it out for myself. I would think that you would have to use an uncomfortable amount of back pressure on the stick before you could get the trim rolled back? Same question for a go around landing with full nose down trim.

MR
    While the flaps are still out pressure on the stick isn't bad at all. Once the flaps are milked off though the trim needs to be traveling to a neutral position. The electric trim on the CC makes that easy and quick though. It has never been an issue for me.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    While the flaps are still out pressure on the stick isn't bad at all. Once the flaps are milked off though the trim needs to be traveling to a neutral position. The electric trim on the CC makes that easy and quick though. It has never been an issue for me.
    Good info, now I will have to go back and find that landing thread!

MR