Thread: Bush flying in the Carbon Cubs SS

Default Bush flying in the Carbon Cubs SS

I recently flew the Carbon Cub SS with Loni Habersetzer. For those of you who are unfamiliar, he flies a 160HP Super Cub in the Big Rocks Long Props video and also does bush pilot training and consulting. His website is www.cubdriver749er.com. I believe he is the best when it comes to the off airport environment. He has unbelievable skill with the experience to back it up. It was an incredible experience and a great way to take the Carbon Cub SS to the limits of the envelope. I learned super steep slope one ways, gavel bars, really soft field, landing in turns, off camber beaches, confined areas, rough surface, obstacles, high wind, and much much more. The most important thing I learned was evaluation and execution of new landing spots that have never been landed before. As for the Carbon Cub SS it worked great, it is a great off airport platform with many attributes. The take off performance is obviously amazing and landing isn't too bad either. We were able to get a couple of video clips to show a glimpse of what the SS can do and take a couple of pictures. Here is a link to the videos, let me know what you guys think. The top two videos or flying with Loni
    http://californiacubs.squarespace.com/video/
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Default Re: Bush flying in the Carbon Cubs SS

Great videos! Shows the carbon cub off! I wonder if Lonny would be interested in working with me in my sport cub? No where near what the carbon can do but what the heck it still does well enough!

Geo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Ben, you're demonstrating a very steady hand and some nice stick & rudder skills. In the top video you use your brakes to keep the tail just a bit off the ground -- shortens the landing but keeps the plane under control... nice touch!
    Randy Lervold

Congrats Ben way to go! You beat me to it by flying with Loni as your adventure has been on my bucket list since I got my S2 and especially now that I have the Carbon Cub! Bravo and tell Loni I am a comin. Best Gary

2 Words for the videos:

"SUPER COOL"

I cant wait to get mine!

I'am Jealous Ben!! You are having way too much FUN with the Carbon Cub. I also agree with Randy's comment you applying just enough brake to keep that tail up for that extra short landing. You demonstrate what this Plane is all about HAVING FUN!!

Rich
    Northeast Cubs

Rich it's way too much fun. The Carbon Cubs performance makes me laugh out loud every time.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com