Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Landings, techniques, cross winds...

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Re: Landings, techniques, cross winds...

I had a IM exchange with Dan and he gave me permission to share it. Good stuff. First, my question:
    Hey Dan: Thanks for your participation. Going out today, probably...and next week a lot...to toughen up my wheel landing techniques. A couple of questions...

1. You said you use full flaps for wheel landings. I love the concept, but...what speed do you actually touch down at (estimated?). You do have the full three notches of flaps? I too have the AOSS and find that with full flaps the damn airplane (affectionately) won't settle on the mains...but that is doing the three point thing. I would suspect that wheeling it on fixes that.

2. Why'd you go to full castering on the tailwheel? Curious as to your reasoning. I started with the baby bush on the standard spring and absolutely HATED it...it shimmied to beat the band. I had them change it back to the middle range steerable on a Pawnee spring. Probably should have tried the BB on the Pawnee spring...but I was trying to beat some weather.

With respect to my first question I would be glad to repeat it on the forum if you'd like to get the words out...

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

His response:

I use full flaps - 3-notches for all landings. I use the tail-low wheel landing technique. To get the plane to roll up onto the mains it takes either a nudge forward on the stick to get it to 'stick' down or brakes to do the same thing. I use both and probably am not even aware of which I'm using at the time. Also the full forward trim helps it roll up too.

With the tail low method you can come in slow and behind the power curve. That's the advantage. I touch down about 40 mph ground speed (no wind). My airspeed indicator is reading about 25 at this point. I look at ground speed often as I'm about to touch to see what the wind is doing to me.

The 3" extended gear helps a lot with tail low landings because it allows a higher angle-of-attack without the tail wheel touching.

My opinion is that rough stuff is all about wheel landings. I try to keep the tail wheel off the ground until I'm stopped or nearly so. And I do that with stick, brakes and power as needed.

The free-castering tail wheel takes a little getting used to but on rough stuff it really shines, while taxiing especially. It is easier on the tail wheel because it isn't locked into a position when it hits something solid with a glancing blow. And in the air it frees up the rudder allowing very nice and smooth coordination in turns. I get shimmy too on pavement if I let the BB touch too soon. Another good reason to keep that tail up as long as possible.

Feel free to post any or all of these questions and my responses. These are good questions you're asking and I'm glad to offer my opinion. But keep in mind it is my opinion and other experienced pilots may not agree with all of it. And that is what the forum is all about and why I participate - a tool for sharing experiences and helping when asked.

Here is a great book that discusses crosswind landings and many other tailwheel flying tips and techniques.
    It was written by Jim Alsip, the best instructor and tailwheel pilot I have ever had the privilege of flying with.

You can buy it in hardcover or as an Ebook from Amazon.
    Its:
    Flying The Tailwheel Airplane
    By Jim Alsip

I highly recommend it.

Jim also has a website at : www.dylanaviation.com
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 10-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quoted by Jim Alsip:

"Okay, so you fly tail draggers and you do a world-class Dutch roll. What’s next? Consider the Dutch roll – inverted!"

dutch rolls inverted? I love it!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Man, now that I'm actually flying my CCEX, it's so much fun to be looking back at threads like this one that didn't hold that much appeal when I was busy squeezing rivets in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Man, now that I'm actually flying my CCEX, it's so much fun to be looking back at threads like this one that didn't hold that much appeal when I was busy squeezing rivets in my garage.
    Congratulations PauL, look forward to seeing it!....Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Congratulations PauL, look forward to seeing it!....Geo
    Thanks Geo.