Thread: Live Oak CA to YKM via Carbon Cub

Default Live Oak CA to YKM via Carbon Cub

I got the chance to go on a little trip last weekend, thought I'd share it here.
    I started in Yakima with a 6 am Horizon Air flight to Seattle (SEA), then an Alaska Air flight down to Sacramento where I was met by the owner of the Carbon Cub. He drove me north about 45 minutes to his strip near Live Oak, CA. From there I flew the Carbon Cub to YKM via Rogers Field (Chester, CA) and Sun River OR. Total time round trip from the time the Q400 left YKM until I landed in the Carbon Cub: 11 hours 38 minutes!

I did have a pretty good tail wind on the second half of the trip with ground speeds between Sun River and Yakima 115-132 MPH. A slight turn to the east combined with going downhill some for a left downwind entry to the pattern for runway 22 gave me a short run of 150 MPH showing on the GPS!

Here are a couple of photos along the way:

Fueling up in Sun River, OR. I did such a quick turn around stop in Chester I forgot to take a photo there!
    2012-10-13 15.35.02.jpg

Flew over a very broken layer of clouds through most of Northern California and all of Oregon. It was nice and smooth above them at 7,500-9,500 feet.
    2012-10-13 13.41.14.jpg

Happened to look to the right just in time to see this special treat go by:
    2012-10-13 17.08.33.jpg

And back in Yakima about an hour before sunset!
    2012-10-13 17.38.07.jpg

I thought it was kind of funny when about 10 minutes after I landed in the Carbon Cub the Horizon Q400 landed on its evening flight!
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Default Re: Live Oak CA to YKM via Carbon Cub

Screen capture of SPOT tracks

SPOT.jpg
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc