January 12, 2016

CUBCRAFTERS INTRODUCES EMERGENCY AIRCRAFT PARACHUTES

New Systems from BRS Aerospace Available
for Company’s LSA, Kit, and Builder Assist Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I flew Cirrus for many years and was always happy to have the chute on board. Not many have accused Cirrus of being safe - it is a high performance aircraft and flown on missions that can get it into trouble lots of ways. Our cubs are a different matter - for example it is pretty unlikely a cub will lose control at high altitude in IMC and a load of ice (we just don't fly in those conditions). But keep in mind that the motivation of the Klapmeier brothers for the Cirrus chute was a mid-air collision, and that is just as likely in a cub as a Cirrus. So I can see the utility of a BRS option for the Carbon Cub and would consider it if it was available.
That was my post from 2014. This thread started in 2012. Now in 2016 CubCrafters is offering the BRS parachute as an option for new aircraft and as a retrofit option for the fleet.

A few things have changed since that post. Cirrus has now evolved to a low fatality record, over twice as safe as the GA average. Much of this is due to more use of the BRS option. Another very good thing, a friend of mine is alive today after he pulled his Cirrus chute last month. Certainly BRS is not for all CubCrafters pilots, no one would argue that. But I said back then I would consider a BRS option. I'm in, and I'll dedicate it to my living friend.