Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRS and Carbon Cub

Default BRS and Carbon Cub

I am a Cirrus owner and pilot wanting to put the fun back into my flying. That is why I am considering CC. I did a search regarding the Ballistic Recovery System on this forum to if there were any posts but was unable to find. I know the factory does not list this as a factory installed option but are there any owners out there that have installed the BRS?
    Thanks

Default Re: BRS and Carbon Cub

Carbon Cub stalls at 32 MPH (27KT) and its illegal to fly in IMC. Wing is really strong. Add at least 50 LB for a parachute system? To check it out, I would start with BRS. They would most likely know if they have put one in a Sport Cub or Carbon cub.

Even though it was a good question, why would you want a parachute when you can land almost anywhere at such a low speed? The extra weight would definitely affect performance defeating the whole concept of the Carbon Cub. Its a different way of flying that coming from a Cirrus that will maybe take some adjustment to. BRS would be pointless. I hope you do put the fun back in your flying with a Carbon Cub guarantee you will have an everlasting smile!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by jalexbell View Post
    I am a Cirrus owner and pilot wanting to put the fun back into my flying. That is why I am considering CC. I did a search regarding the Ballistic Recovery System on this forum to if there were any posts but was unable to find. I know the factory does not list this as a factory installed option but are there any owners out there that have installed the BRS?
    Thanks
    This is a good topic. I have many years of Cirrus ownership, and am trained and confident in BRS use and merits. It somehow seems like all aircraft should be BRS equipped. Pilots that don't have exposure to BRS usually don't have that attitude.

Reasons the CC may not be a BRS candidate have already been expressed. CubCrafters took the classic cub and diligently worked its weight way down so it could fit LSA requirements - and adding the weight back for BRS would be going in the wrong direction. Accidents like loss of control or upset in difficult IFR conditions don't happen in VFR only airplanes like the CC. And the stall speed and landing speed are so slow in a CC, forced landings are not nearly as dangerous as in an airplane like a Cirrus. Sure, with a mid-air or a failed control surface BRS is the way out.

A way to view it would be to look at the fatal accident history of cubs (probably all cubs, since there are so few Carbon Cubs) and to evaluate how effective BRS would have been in saving lives. I haven't done that - my impression is that there are lots of cub accidents, but mostly various kinds of landing crunches and low altitude stall/spins where BRS would probably not apply. You might argue that a safety helmet would be more appropriate - sort of a motorcycle analogy.

It would be interesting to see what BRS has to say about CC installations. There are certainly lots of other BRS equipped LSA aircraft. But it is some of the same story we have seen so often with Cirrus - the pilot gets into trouble but doesn't pull the chute. We had a local accident here a couple of months ago, a Sting LSA, BRS equipped, crashed and killed two people. It was possibly a stall/spin during a training exercise - and might have happened high enough a quick chute pull could have saved them.
    Last edited by Charles; 10-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

I understand the want for the BRS. I also have a PA-46-350 (Malibu Mirage). I wish I had the option on that machine. The Malibu's probably have a higher engine failure rate than most of GA due to a complicated, highly turbocharged powerplant. Take-off power is and needs to be 42" hg. I tend to avoid night flights and may feel more comfortable night flying with a BRS. I have not received my CC yet but have fallen in love with the low and slow.

It is time to revisit this topic. Today a BRS save two lives in a mid air. In the pattern, less than 500 feet - good safety device. http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/...erick-airport/

I had the misfortune to witness the mid air a week ago in Nevada. There were at least 4 CCs and 80+ planes at the High Sierra fly in.

We lost two good men that could have been saved by a ballistic parachute. I think I can spare the 40lbs of useful load to protect myself and my passenger.

Is there any technical assistance from CubCrafters on this?

I really think Charles says it best-

"A way to view it would be to look at the fatal accident history of cubs (probably all cubs, since there are so few Carbon Cubs) and to evaluate how effective BRS would have been in saving lives. I haven't done that - my impression is that there are lots of cub accidents, but mostly various kinds of landing crunches and low altitude stall/spins where BRS would probably not apply. You might argue that a safety helmet would be more appropriate - sort of a motorcycle analogy.

It would be interesting to see what BRS has to say about CC installations. There are certainly lots of other BRS equipped LSA aircraft. But it is some of the same story we have seen so often with Cirrus - the pilot gets into trouble but doesn't pull the chute."

The Option to have one may be nice... After having them on ultralights and installing them, personally would have opted out.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    I really think Charles says it best-

"A way to view it would be to look at the fatal accident history of cubs (probably all cubs, since there are so few Carbon Cubs) and to evaluate how effective BRS would have been in saving lives. I haven't done that - my impression is that there are lots of cub accidents, but mostly various kinds of landing crunches and low altitude stall/spins where BRS would probably not apply. You might argue that a safety helmet would be more appropriate - sort of a motorcycle analogy.

It would be interesting to see what BRS has to say about CC installations. There are certainly lots of other BRS equipped LSA aircraft. But it is some of the same story we have seen so often with Cirrus - the pilot gets into trouble but doesn't pull the chute."

The Option to have one may be nice... After having them on ultralights and installing them, personally would have opted out.
    Steve, I think you are missing the point of my post. The BRS and FAA studies and testing prove they work as low as 200 AGL.

What I am asking is how to install one on a CC SS.

I just finished a call with BRS. The chute will absolutely work and have been installed on Legend Cubs.

Can I get frame drawings to send to them? They will a design the harness on the CC based on the structure and my weight and balance.

Any help is appreciated. Any suggestions from the factory? Thanks.

As long as they don't make it a compulsory service bulletin, have at it. In the mean time, keep your eyes open and stay aware.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 10-24-2014 at 12:14 PM.