Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynon Display Quality and other CC options.

Red face Dynon Display Quality and other CC options.

I test flew a 2007 Sport Cub this past summer that had the Dynon Executive Panel. Wonderful airplane but since I had flown a Carbon Cub prior, I was spoiled and I made the decision to cough up the extra 100K for a new Carbon Cub. I thought the 2007 Dynon display was lacking in clarity and brightness. Has Dynon made any improvements to the unit since then? I currently have the Deluxe VFR ordered but I would really like engine monitoring and a bigger GPS display. The attitude indication is helpful also. Any insight, Randy or others? Decision time is inching up to finalize options. I am also considering removing the long range tanks, adding the Single Seat Convertible option, and I am waffling on the 26" vs. 29" tires. Chris has been extremely helpful but I am just looking for different opinions. CC # 247. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Dynon Display Quality and other CC options.

#203 here. I would think everyone goes back and forth on the options. I have bad eyes up close and I can see the Dynon very well. More info than I need but a lot of stuff there if you want it. Tanks? How many times do you need to carry 44 gals of fuel? I have 2 Alaskan Bush Plane bladders @ 5 gals each if going on a trip where fuel is not available. The tires, ? I have the 29 in. sure look nice, but are they needed? The back seat folds up in two minutes if needed. Some options I looked at the price. Good luck.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

#226. I really like the clarity and brightness of the Dynon display. The engine instruments make me very happy...if I had it to do over again, I'd do it over again, if ya know what I mean! Did some night flying last week and turned all the way dim was just dim enough...so it works both ways.

I like the 26 inch tires enough. Can't imagine anything that I would do that needs bigger tires. No doubt the guys who REALLY go off road might...but I am happy with mine.

I didn't go for the bigger tanks. Do I regret it? Nah, I like to get out and stretch every couple-three hours, so no worries there. Agree with Mr. Williams...I can always take some extra fuel in bladders if going way out there...

Takes a matter of minutes to convert mine to a single seat airplane. 5 minutes or so to take the seat out. Probably a half hour to take the stick out. The rudder pedals and throttle? Who cares?

YMMV.

Jim

Back in 2007 Dynon had two versions of the D180 screen. A standard and a "super-bright". I believe they are now all the "super-bright" version, don't think the old standard is available anymore. I have not seen any issues reading the screen in broad daylight. I think the extra info you get with the D180 and GDU375 is well worth it.

Tanks, I have done a few longer trips and have never really needed the extra fuel. Like Jim Harper said, by the time you burn off enough to need a fuel stop I usually feel like I need to get out and walk around anyway. I like the way the plane flys better with the small tanks anyway. (lighter)

Single seat conversion kit: Throttle and rudder pedals stay in but you get an optional rear stick cover. Nifty piece of composite that matches the styling of the floorboard so you can load baggage right up to the back of the front seat and not have to worry about control interference.

As light as these planes are, I like the 26" tires (along with 3x3 gear). 29s are heavier too.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Let me add a hearty HELL YES to the 3x3 gear AND the AOSS suspension. Here's a link to a landing I did in Fairhope last week. Got lazy with the stick while cranking on some braking...3x3 made it JUST embarassing...instead of expensive!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKQDx...=results_videoWouldn't do without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Back in 2007 Dynon had two versions of the D180 screen. A standard and a "super-bright". I believe they are now all the "super-bright" version, don't think the old standard is available anymore. I have not seen any issues reading the screen in broad daylight. I think the extra info you get with the D180 and GDU375 is well worth it.

Tanks, I have done a few longer trips and have never really needed the extra fuel. Like Jim Harper said, by the time you burn off enough to need a fuel stop I usually feel like I need to get out and walk around anyway. I like the way the plane flys better with the small tanks anyway. (lighter)

Single seat conversion kit: Throttle and rudder pedals stay in but you get an optional rear stick cover. Nifty piece of composite that matches the styling of the floorboard so you can load baggage right up to the back of the front seat and not have to worry about control interference.

As light as these planes are, I like the 26" tires (along with 3x3 gear). 29s are heavier too.
    Last edited by Jim Harper; 09-24-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added link

Jim, neat video. Looked like a decent landing to me. It also looks like you land with one notch of flaps. Is that normal or maybe the rear seat perspective just makes it look that way.

I've got 3" gear too (not 3x3 though) and like it. I brake hard with every landing.

Thanks for the comment, Dan.

it was two notches. I kept thinking on 3, but it was fairly gusty and I liked the compromise. I didn't like i
    the landing because (as you can see) I let the stick drift to neutral...and that let the tail come up more than I wanted. And it banged down. I was so startled to see that much runway in the windshield...

i did love the touchdown, though. Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Thanks for the comment, Dan.

it was two notches. I kept thinking on 3, but it was fairly gusty and I liked the compromise. I didn't like i
    the landing because (as you can see) I let the stick drift to neutral...and that let the tail come up more than I wanted. And it banged down. I was so startled to see that much runway in the windshield...

i did love the touchdown, though. Thanks for the comment.
    Hey Jim, how about starting a new thread on landing techniques so we don't get this one derailed? I'd like to see what others do and share what I do.

Dan

Just finished RV7 with two 10" Skyviews. Can't say enough about them! Awesome in every way! Clear and bright in Sunlight and perfect automatic dim at night. I am building a CCEX11 and am putting a 10" in the center of panel. Won't need anything else in panel but radio since transponder and other components are remote. Will also have weather option. It is my understanding too that if I install 30SL I can do approach from Skyview screen (Am instrument rated but approach not likely in CC). Just in case. I am sure you know auto-pilot comes with Skyview which brings me to a question. Has anyone installed Dynon servos in a Carbon Cub? Have a few photos Mitch sent me, but still need more info. I have an email into him now asking about using SV32, 42, or 52. Would appreciate some input.

Richard

There are two or three Carbon Cubs flying with the Dynon autopilot, both D180 and Skyview equipped aircraft. Because they are done as one-off custom installs there isn't a drawing package. Takes the SV42 servos if I remember right. Dynon has some info about that if you call them, as well as starting settings for the programming.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc