Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autopilot Pireps

Default Re: Autopilot Pireps

Speaking of Autopilots, does anyone out there have a Dynon autopilot in their cub and what do you think of it. Also, if anyone has any photos of the autopilot servo connections could you post them or send them to me at rp@phillipsaluminum.com. CC sent me a few photos of Trutrak hookup which is probably the same as Dynon, but they were obscured by bracketts and I could not tell how they were connected. CC said they would follow up with Dynon autopilot photos but have not done so yet.

Another pirep

I fiddled some more with the settings on my TruTrack autopilot and today did a 200 mile cross country at 5500 feet above a haze layer.
    The autopilot performed pretty well in those conditions.
    The altitude held within 50/60 feet.
    I have no idea wether or not my "fiddling" had anything to do with it.
    Maybe it just craves love and attention.
    Bill

Junior Member Table Rock Aviation's Avatar

I also have flown behind the TruTrack Autopilot in a Sport Cub (SN#099) I have found that in smooth air it will hold altitude within plus or minus 20 ft. In thermal type air the autopilot will still hold altitude +/- 50ft yet it will climb and dive causing you to have to manage the engine RPM. I sometimes find it better to turn OFF the altitude hold portion of the autopilot and just let the airplane ride through the bumps and manage the altitude in a comfortable manner. I haven't seen a heading input for the autopilot from the Dynon D-180 but I know that you can select the track digitally on the Autopilot and it will look for the track information to come from the Garmin 696. If anything I wish there was an audible tone to alert when the autopilot was disengaged in addition to the screen readout. The unit does have an min speed setting on it but I don't know if it is hooked up. Something about letting the autopilot try to stall the airplane never gives me warm fuzzy feelings. I also wish that the resistance from and AP Servos was a lot less. When I fly other Sport Cubs without Autopilots I think the stick forces are more pleasant than the stick forces with the autopilot servos.

Quote Originally Posted by Table Rock Aviation View Post
    I also have flown behind the TruTrack Autopilot in a Sport Cub (SN#099) I have found that in smooth air it will hold altitude within plus or minus 20 ft. In thermal type air the autopilot will still hold altitude +/- 50ft yet it will climb and dive causing you to have to manage the engine RPM. I sometimes find it better to turn OFF the altitude hold portion of the autopilot and just let the airplane ride through the bumps and manage the altitude in a comfortable manner. I haven't seen a heading input for the autopilot from the Dynon D-180 but I know that you can select the track digitally on the Autopilot and it will look for the track information to come from the Garmin 696. If anything I wish there was an audible tone to alert when the autopilot was disengaged in addition to the screen readout. The unit does have an min speed setting on it but I don't know if it is hooked up. Something about letting the autopilot try to stall the airplane never gives me warm fuzzy feelings. I also wish that the resistance from and AP Servos was a lot less. When I fly other Sport Cubs without Autopilots I think the stick forces are more pleasant than the stick forces with the autopilot servos.
    There is a minimum and a maximum speed setting when the AP is initially set up. This is checked on the initial test flight and can be checked at any time. It will flash a message on the screen and change how it flys the airplane to not go above or below the limits it has been programmed to. Usually it is something like min 70, max 120 or something like that. A bit of a gotcha is the programing is all in knots so it can get confusing if you forget that.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

A comment for folks deciding if an autopilot makes sense for their cubs...I have now flown my cub pretty close to (4000) no...5000 miles cross country (Portland OR to Santa Fe, NM (via Yakima), Santa Fe to Montgomery, AL, Montgomery AL to Saint Augustine, FL (by way of Atlanta, GA), Saint Augustine FL to Santa Fe, NM and Santa Fe, NM to Montgomery AL.

And a whole lot of pooping around the local area...ranging up to Atlanta and down to Mobile...and I have NEVER regretted not having an Autopilot. The airplane trims well and pretty much stays where you put it. I have the small tanks and since I am stopping every couple-three hours, it just doesn't fatigue me.

And as I read about the difficulties in care and feeding of the autopilot, the increased drag on the controls from the autopilot and all of the other issues...glad I never went there.

And I came to the cub from a Bonanza where I pretty much took off, turned on the autopilot and turned it off on short final...so I am a fan of autopilots in general. But MY cub just doesn't need it. Plus its more fun!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Harper; 11-25-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: I did the math...

Yeah
    Thats sort of what I do except I payed for the autopilot.