Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Converting to E-LSA

Default Converting to E-LSA

I've been toying with the idea of converting my Sport Cub S2 to E-LSA.

What are the pros and cons?
    What is the procedure and how much does it cost?
    Is there anything I can do with my airplane now that I won't be able to do if it is E-LSA?
    Does it affect the resale value?

Thanks.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Default Re: Converting to E-LSA

Hi Jeff,
    Great question and I'm sure there will be good discussion on this topic.

Here are some advantages to moving your aircraft to E-LSA:
    • The maintenance and Condition Inspections may be performed by the owner IF the owner takes the approved 16 hour Repairman course.
    • The aircraft is no longer restricted by an empty weight, which allows the owner to install larger tires or propeller, for example. (The gross weight does still apply.)
    • There will be more opportunity to perform modifications that are not included in the Type Design of the engine, such as the 8.5:1 pistons (for the O-200 engine).
    • The aircraft could be operated under Night VFR conditions, as the ASTM restrictions for Night VFR no longer apply. (The minimum equipment requirements are then regulated by FAR 91.)
    The process for converting your aircraft can be completed here at CubCrafters. You may bring the aircraft to Yakima and we will arrange to convert it to E-LSA, provided the aircraft is in proper S-LSA configuration. If the aircraft is found to need any modifications or adjustments before being moved into E-LSA, there would be an additional charge. Also, aircraft must have a current Condition Inspection. If the aircraft is not brought to CubCrafters, you must find an LSA Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) and he or she will convert the aircraft from S-LSA to E-LSA. The price for the E-LSA conversion completed at CubCrafters is $1,000.
    I'm not aware of anything you can do S-LSA that you couldn't do E-LSA, maybe others can jump in there...
    Becky Teerink

I was just reminded - an E-LSA aircraft cannot be used for flight instruction.
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    Great question and I'm sure there will be good discussion on this topic.

Here are some advantages to moving your aircraft to E-LSA:
    • The maintenance and Condition Inspections may be performed by the owner IF the owner takes the approved 16 hour Repairman course.
    • The aircraft is no longer restricted by an empty weight, which allows the owner to install larger tires or propeller, for example. (The gross weight does still apply.)
    • There will be more opportunity to perform modifications that are not included in the Type Design of the engine, such as the 8.5:1 pistons (for the O-200 engine).
    • The aircraft could be operated under Night VFR conditions, as the ASTM restrictions for Night VFR no longer apply. (The minimum equipment requirements are then regulated by FAR 91.)
    The process for converting your aircraft can be completed here at CubCrafters. You may bring the aircraft to Yakima and we will arrange to convert it to E-LSA, provided the aircraft is in proper S-LSA configuration. If the aircraft is found to need any modifications or adjustments before being moved into E-LSA, there would be an additional charge. Also, aircraft must have a current Condition Inspection. If the aircraft is not brought to CubCrafters, you must find an LSA Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) and he or she will convert the aircraft from S-LSA to E-LSA. The price for the E-LSA conversion completed at CubCrafters is $1,000.
    I'm not aware of anything you can do S-LSA that you couldn't do E-LSA, maybe others can jump in there...
    Hi Becky. Do you know when Cub Crafters will have another repairmans course for the E-LSA?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Hi Becky. Do you know when Cub Crafters will have another repairmans course for the E-LSA?
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Nothing has been scheduled yet but there's a good probability we'll have one again this fall, maybe October as we did last year. There are courses held around the country throughout the year, the EAA does a pretty good job of noting the schedules.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Looks like there is a class starting April 9th, in Oshkosh...that was the closest one to you that I could find!
    http://www.sportair.com/schedule.html
    Becky Teerink

Good info. I'm tempted ...
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Link for DARs:
    http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat...RDirectory.pdf
    (Must find a DAR with Function Code 47.)
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Nothing has been schedule yet but there's a good probability we'll have one again this fall, maybe October as we did last year. There are courses held around the country throughout the year, the EAA does a pretty good job of noting the schedules.
    Randy if it can be late October...I would love to attend. Ralph

Hi all here is another provider of E-Lsa Repaiman Course ( Rainbow Aviation) and I have taken one from them herein Florida ( they are based in CA) and I am a scheduled for a second course in April. The course is really terrific and even from a gear head like me I learned alot and highly recommend such a course for anyone even if you do not want the certificate. Lots of good and practical knowledge there to learn about how to take good care of your aircraft and also spot issues before they become safety items. Best Gary
    http://www.rainbowaviation.com/seminar_schedule.htm