Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radio noise

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Re: Radio noise

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    Kurt,

I use Bose A20's and I can't imagine flying my Carbon Cub without a noise-cancelling mic. I've used a David Clark without ANR in the CC and it was awful!! I'll stay with ANR anytime, any airplane.
    Agree 100% with Chip. My Bose's are the bomb. Tried a couple of other headsets...nope. ANR is the way to fly...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Agree 100% with Chip. My Bose's are the bomb. Tried a couple of other headsets...nope. ANR is the way to fly...

Jim
    Both the Bose A20 and the Light Speed Zulus are the bomb and DO work! Don't leave home without them as all other sets dont come close. They CAN be adjusted to work per the posts. As far as adjustments as mentioned earlier the Zulus have a mike adjustment right on the mike under the small black rubber cap that will stop the high power/noise over ride issue that many are posting about here. The Bose does not. I also found that working the SL40 internal adjustments as explained here also help but personally had the best results with the Zulus adjusting the mike itself and using a leather muff blocking the front hole that also permitted open window flight without wind buffeting noise over the mike. Best Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 12-10-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I figured this out.

I have the same problem; I have a Bose A20 headset and when I use it with my new CC I transmit noise and the radio is not readable at high power levels.

Looking at the SL40 installation manual you can adjust for microphone sensitivity with the MIC 1 level. The procedure is at the top of page 13 of the manual; I've attached that paragraph.

The MIC 1 level as the radio came installed was 128. I just started backing this level down, flying the airplane, and checking the noise. Started to see some improvement at 80, and finally ended up with a setting of 50. This gives very acceptable results. It may be possible to go lower, but the voice with microphone still needs to modulate the radio, so I stopped at 50.

I did some radio checks with KWJF tower, 10 miles west at 6500 feet and cruise power.
    Setting 128 tower response: "Aircraft calling Fox tower, unreadable."
    Setting 50 tower response: "N512CH, Fox tower, loud and clear."
    Chuck, good work, thanks for the effort here. We'll do some additional research here at CC and advise.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.KMQJ View Post
    I am going to Yakima to pick up my new CC at the beginning of the year. I have an A20 for my Mirage but it has the special Bose connector. I also have some David Clarks with standard plugs. I think the CC has the Bose outlet -- not sure. My sales guy says the noise canceling headsets don't work well in the CC. Opinions?
    I don't fly a Carbon Cub with out a noise canceling headset. Personal preference is the Lightspeed Zulu but everyone has their own opinion on which headset is best. I've spent up to 6 or 8 hours in a day and been amazed how comfortable the headset is.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I'm firmly in Lightspeed's corner. Very comfortable and very effective ANR. Both good sets, but a good pilot friend of mine has owned Bose sets and seems to me he's had them back to the manufacturer more times than I'd be happy with.

Excellent advice, Charles. I went through the steps to adjust the mic volume and 50 helped...35 was perfect! I'm able to talk at full throttle and people understand me! yay!

Thanks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Excellent advice, Charles. I went through the steps to adjust the mic volume and 50 helped...35 was perfect! I'm able to talk at full throttle and people understand me! yay!
    Great! Yeh, I'm down to 40 now and can back off a little more. I'll try 35.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

I had already set my sidetone adjustment to 0...which ties it directly to the radio volume. I am very pleased with the result of the tip you gave me. CubCrafters (if this is a not-uncommon problem) ought to make these settings the default for the radio (Sidetone 0, Mike volume 35).

Thanks again!!

Jim

My wife and I use a combination of Lightspeed and Carity Aloft headsets, and we had a sevear noise issue on the intercom and transmit. In desperation I tried mice cuffs from Oregon Aero, and we are both amazed at the difference, in fact the problem is solved. I had also purchased a PM1200 high noise intercom, but I will not now install it as the problem is solved. Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pwill435 View Post
    My wife and I use a combination of Lightspeed and Carity Aloft headsets, and we had a sevear noise issue on the intercom and transmit. In desperation I tried mice cuffs from Oregon Aero, and we are both amazed at the difference, in fact the problem is solved. I had also purchased a PM1200 high noise intercom, but I will not now install it as the problem is solved. Paul.
    Excellent. We use Bose(s). I tried the mike muff and it helped...a little. As recounted, the intercom was clear as a bell (even before the mike muff), I could use the bluetooth on the Bose headset to make phone calls...very clear. But it was awful at full power over the radio. This adjustment fixed it perfectly.

Jim