Thread: Carbon Cub options

Default Carbon Cub options

I am seriously considering ordering a CC to replace my Cirrus due to a medical issue, and would like some advice on the best options to order. Here is a list of what my mission will likely be:

1. Floats for summer use in Maine and northern New England

2. New England flights for fun all year.

3. Occasional flights as far as from Maine to Indiana

3. I am 6' 3" and weight 215, so weight is a big consideration.

What is the best choice for avionics, Amsafe belts (?), extra range fuel tanks (?), 26" tires (?), landing gear and tailwheel upgrade (?), Alpha Omega Suspension system (?), other (?)

Any and all words of wisdom welcomed! Many thanks.

Default Re: Carbon Cub options

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sanford View Post
    What is the best choice for avionics, Amsafe belts (?), extra range fuel tanks (?), 26" tires (?), landing gear and tailwheel upgrade (?), Alpha Omega Suspension system (?), other (?)

Any and all words of wisdom welcomed! Many thanks.
    Hi Jack,

You are likely to get various opinions on each and every one of these options, and like everything in aviation there's a tradeoff with each one. If that tradeoff isn't money then it's weight or something else. I'd be happy to talk these options through with you if you'd care to give me a call at the factory, or better yet I suggest you connect with your local CubCrafters dealer. They've all been thoroughly trained and know the options well. You can find a map for your closest dealer here.

Thanks for considering CubCrafters!
    Randy Lervold

Hi Jack,

Eric Standley from Curtiss Aero here. It would be best for us to speak on the phone about your questions as each one deserves individual consideration. Is there a time that I can reach you in the next couple days to discuss? Otherwise we can go over all of it in Greenville later this week. Please let me know.

Thank you,
    Eric

Jack, I just ordered one of these and would be happy to share my opinion(s) on the option(s). I am far from an expert but have done some research. 317-696-4296. I am looking forward to a January delivery.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

I'll weigh in: Just took delivery (a month or so ago) on my CCSS. These are the options I chose...the rationale...and how I feel now:

Exec panel: Wanted engine monitors, I like GPS. Great, wouldn't be without it. Absolutely the right choice for me.
    26 inch tires: Want to fly off road...and so far, so good. Wouldn't change.
    Baby Bush tailwheel: Wanted floatation off road. I asked to have it removed. It shimmied with two people on board. Didn't like it.
    Standard tanks: Didn't want the extra weight. Happy with the amount of fuel so far.
    "Performance paint": Saved some weight. Like the look. Works.
    I'm 6'3", weigh a bit more than you. I will occasionally be a bit over 1320, but haven't noticed any problems with performance at all.

Have flown it from Oregon to Yakima to Santa Fe, NM and then to Montgomery, AL. And will fly it back to Santa Fe and back again pretty much every couple of months.

I like MY choices. Feel free to drop me a note to discuss them.

Jim

Shimmy with the baby bushwheel can result from too much caster. You can re-arch the spring to solve it. Or you can go with a Pawnee spring.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    Shimmy with the baby bushwheel can result from too much caster. You can re-arch the spring to solve it. Or you can go with a Pawnee spring.
    Appreciate that. For now, I'm happy with the 3200b with the Pawnee spring. Changing it (eventually) wont be a big deal, and I'm still learning the airplane.