Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New EX getting delivered

Default New EX getting delivered

Hi,

My wing and fuselage kit should show up in a week or so. I was wondering if there are any CC builders in Minnesota/northern WI? My dad and I will put it together in Two Harbors (TWM).

Jake

Angry Re: New EX getting delivered

Problem with YRC Freight. My EX has been in Duluth, Mn for the weekend with scheduled delivery today at TWM airport. 18 miles from Duluth. Just talked to the freight company at 8 am to find out a delivery time. They tell me tomorrow. Then the freight manager says they can only deliver to a loading dock. I am supposed to call him back when I figure out how to get the crate off of his truck. How has everyone else gotten their aircraft delivered? Two Harbors airport does not have a loading dock. Need some help here.

Too early to call CC.

Jake

Default Re: New EX getting delivered

Quote Originally Posted by c130jake View Post
    How has everyone else gotten their aircraft delivered? Two Harbors airport does not have a loading dock. .

Jake
    Jake, for my wings, I talked to the carrier and had them go to a manufacturing plant that had a loading dock to offload and put on my trailer. For the fuselage, I took my trailer to the carriers facility and they put on my trailer. Good luck.

Tony

Angry Re: New EX getting delivered

Today I was told the carrier is only responsible for getting the load to the back of the truck at the point of delivery. Yellow Freight does not have the ability to load it on anything that isn't dock height. I was told if I couldn't unload the truck, it would go back to the shipper.

After talking to fellow EAA builder Mike Busch, he suggested a flatbed wrecker. We will find out tomorrow if that works. It would have been nice to know this ahead of time so I could have planned an researched getting the crate off the truck.

A flatbed with a crane would work if I could find one. Future EX builders beware.

Jake

Cool Re: New EX getting delivered

OK folks, here is what we did.....went to the local autoparts store thinking they would know how to get my kit off the truck. They called a buddy with a flat bed wrecker and it worked awesome. It was the exact height of the semi, they drug it on with a pallet jack, carefully tipped the bed and slid the crate off the flat bed. The kid was a maestro with the tow truck. Slid the crate into the hanger with the pallet jack and we were done in about eight minutes. Big relief.

Now the real work begins.

It seems I can't post pictures with this iPad.

Jake

Those tow truck drivers can do amazing things. I watched one guy load up 3 cars and an SUV in one load, one of which didn't even have wheels on it. He used the flat bed to stack two of the cars on top of each other.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by c130jake View Post
    OK folks, here is what we did.....went to the local autoparts store thinking they would know how to get my kit off the truck. They called a buddy with a flat bed wrecker and it worked awesome. It was the exact height of the semi, they drug it on with a pallet jack, carefully tipped the bed and slid the crate off the flat bed. The kid was a maestro with the tow truck. Slid the crate into the hanger with the pallet jack and we were done in about eight minutes. Big relief.

Now the real work begins.

It seems I can't post pictures with this iPad.

Jake
    Glad to hear you got it in the hangar ok Jake. I'm sure it was a relief to have it safe where it belongs.

I was able to get a fork truck to the enclosed trailer I used to bring my kit home. But the flatbed roll off wrecker idea sounds good.

Now the fun starts. Good luck and consider keeping us updated on your progress on this site.

Here are the pics...I think

Jake
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool Re: New EX getting delivered

Getting the big box open....Dad is more excited than I, he loves the Cleco pliers. He is 82 and still flying his PA-28. He wants to fly the CC to Alaska when we are done. How can I say no to that? Back to the real job for a few days to pay for this beast.

Jake
    Attached Images Attached Images

How'd ya like the way the kit was packed?
    I look at them packing up those crates in the parts department and am just amazed -- quite the design and workmanship just in the way the kit is packed and shipped.
    Randy Lervold