Thread: Night Flying

Junior Member Table Rock Aviation's Avatar

Default Night Flying

First question, is it legal to fly the Sport Cub at night if it is properly equipped per the FAR's when in the operating limitations of the Airplane Flight Manual it says the aircraft is limited to "Day VFR" only?
    There has to be SOME sort of reason for getting the airplane equipped with the lighting package isn't there?
    Secondly how many owners fly your Sport Cub at night? I was wondering about doing night traing for private pilots in the airplane but want to make sure that its legal to do of course! For anyone who replies cite your sources of what reg./limitation/ etc. because I probably will have to educate my local FSDO on this since most FSDO's aren't always up to speed on the Light-Sport certification/limitations.

Thanks!

Default Re: Night Flying

The aircraft limitations will always trump the pilot qualifications. The Sport Cub and Carbon Cub are limited to Day VFR as they do not meet the special conditions for night operations as written in the Light Sport Category rules, ASTM F2245. The only way around this is converting to E-LSA, and this is where you defer to the FARs for minimum required equipment. The short story is that the Light Sport Night rules are actually more stringent than FAR 23 rules which was not anticipated when the category was initially created.

Steve

Junior Member Table Rock Aviation's Avatar

Steve,

Thanks for the reply! Occasionally I get someone who is interested in getting night training in the Sport Cub and I will have to defer to these rules. Is it just not worth the time/expense for CubCrafters to pursue the night flying certification on the Sport Cubs?

Some notes are included in this thread-

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/for...ights-Retrofit

Steve

I put the lighting package on for the ability to be seen with the strobes and landing light but the nav lights allow you to fly during the civil twilight times before sunrise and after sunset under the sport rules.

Jon