Thread: Back in The Air!

Smile Back in The Air!

Along with the arrival of beautiful weather in the Northwest I'm happy to report that Sport Cub S2 #62 is back in the air after a two-month hiatus.

As some of you know, we'd been watching compressions in my engine since last summer at 125 hr. TT, when cylinder #4 was down to 50/80, and all four were leaking from the exhaust valves. TCM and my local mechanic recommended that I keep flying it and see what happens.

It seemed to be running fine when it went in for condition check in mid-December (150 hr. TT). But #4 was now down to 40/80. So all four cylinders were taken to Premier Aircraft at Troutdale Oregon for re-work. I haven't yet talked to Norm at Premier about his findings, but my local mechanic said it looked to him like bad valve seats.

It's back in the air now, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the increase in performance. It performed well before, but now -- wow! I'm hopeful this work will have cured whatever was ailing it.

Other than this one glitch, the airplane has been trouble-free and a total joy to fly. I'm looking forward to some serious Cubbing this year.
    Last edited by Pilawt; 02-20-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180