Thread: Master Switch Relay

Default Master Switch Relay

Hi,
    Today when I went to fly, there was no power or "click" when I turned the master switch on. Checked battery voltage and the "fuse" that is on the hot side of battery and all showed 13.2 volts. I use a battery maintainer. Has anyone else had problems with battery relay located in the belly?
    Thanks, mike #21 N50KB

Default Re: Master Switch Relay

These master relays are electromechanical devices and are therefore subject to failure. They are used on virtually all aircraft and have been around since the begining of time with seemingly little improvement. The good news is that they are relative inexpensive to replace with easy access from the bottom.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    These master relays are electromechanical devices and are therefore subject to failure.
    I had one of these master relays fail in a Cessna one time, just coming out of the clouds on a night approach to KHWD. Lost all power to everything - fairly high pucker factor.

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    These master relays are electromechanical devices and are therefore subject to failure. They are used on virtually all aircraft and have been around since the begining of time with seemingly little improvement. The good news is that they are relative inexpensive to replace with easy access from the bottom.
    Randy,
    Thanks for the reply. If I read what you are saying correctly, then other light sport aircraft have had this relay fail. I was looking for trend information or whether this was a first occurance. I guess I have been lucky in the past 45 years of flying with 27,000+ hours in that I have never had this relay fail before. All kinds of other electrical issues but not the master/battery relay. The aircraft is with my I/A now to make the repair legal under the CC guidance.
    Sincerely, mike harbeck