Thread: Intro and tool question

Default Intro and tool question

Hello,

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm a former corporate pilot, retired in Idaho, and have recently had my interest in building/flying rekindled by my friend Chuck, who's an avid RV builder. I've just received my wing kit, and am in the process of inventory. Several years ago, I started an RV-7, but soon lost interest. Great airplane, great kit, but just didn't enjoy the dimple and rivet process, and, as my wife says: if you build an RV-7, you 'll end up with an RV-7. If only the CCEX was available those several years ago! Much more to my liking.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to beginning the wings - just as soon as the several grand kids who are visiting have returned to their homes.

Questions about tools:

Is the Spi-Tronics level a necessity? If a digital level is necessary, how accurate does it need to be? Degree? Tenth of a degree? What other choices have you used?

The tool list also says 60 - 3" spring clamps are necessary. Have any of you found this to be so? If not, how many have you needed at one time?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Ken

Default Re: Intro and tool question

Quote Originally Posted by kealpa View Post
    Hello,

Questions about tools:

Is the Spi-Tronics level a necessity? If a digital level is necessary, how accurate does it need to be? Degree? Tenth of a degree? What other choices have you used?

The tool list also says 60 - 3" spring clamps are necessary. Have any of you found this to be so? If not, how many have you needed at one time?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Ken
    Ken,
    Congratulations on joining the group, and starting on your wings. I am currently doing the covering on my EX. I'll give you my opinion and others can weigh in. As far as the digital level. I did buy the Spi-tronics that Use-Enco.com had on sale (big savings). I also checked with a much less expensive Craftsman digital level, and both were equally accurate to the 1/10th degree. The big difference I noted was that the Craftsman would take a while to settle in on the measurement, and seemed to jump back and forth between degrees until it settled. That said, I prefer the Spi model.

The clamps that are listed in the manual are actually 1" opening clamps if you go to the big box stores to purchase. My opinion is that you can never have enough clamps. I would suggest a combination of 1", 2", and 3" opening (mostly 2"). Building the boot cowl is where the manual suggests the 60 clamps, but if you watch the video from CC, you can get by with less. If a picture can speak a 1000 words:

DSC_0019_087.jpg

Good luck with your build!

Tony

Thanks, Tony!

Ken

which spi tronic level did you buy/use? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cs409 View Post
    which spi tronic level did you buy/use? thanks
    Pro360. Enco still has it on sale for $178 with free shipping using promocode JULYWEB. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Tony