Thread: Landing on private property

Default Landing on private property

Hi, I am looking for information and advice regarding aircraft ops on private property. A couple of friends have given me permission to land on thier properties and I have been landing there for about 5 months. These are rural/farming areas.
    Once at each (strip) a Sheriff's Deputy has checked, just to see if it was an emergency landing, without incident.

With the Carbon Cub I can take off and spiral up not crossing his property lines or for noise abatement climg to a safe 300ft
    agl then throttle back and exit between neighbors homes. Some of these homes are hundreds of feet apart and some are thousand of feet apart.

From what I have read on the web, the longer I do this the closer I get to "GrandFathered". I have been advised to put up a flag instead of a wind sock for liability reasons.

My wife and I are planning to purchase one of these ( strips ) and it would be fun to get a dozen Carbon Cub's in for a BBQ so practice up on your short techs.

I would appreciate any info, thanks. Tom

Default Re: Landing on private property

Washington has a recreational use statute that includes aircraft operations, so permissive recreational use will not give rise to liability concerns for the landowner. The statute may not apply if the use is "invited." Local jurisdictions may require a use permit for more than very occasional use. State law may also define and regulate "airports" so you'll need to check that out. Everything you describe should be just fine with the FAA.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Default Re: Landing on private property

Thanks Ben.
    Here is a pic of the area. Stanwood/Camano airport is in the background but hard to see. In our real estate contract we had to sign a form that informed us that we were buying property in the area zoned for an airport. We have some pilot and airplane friendly nieghbors but also some tree huggers (I am in both groups). Confounding how some people can ignore barking dogs,
    2-stroke dirt bikes, leaf blowers, chain saws,etc, but one airplane for 30 seconds gets them to pick up the phone.

This is the kind of strip where the Carbon Cub SS is right at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images