Thread: Egt

Default Egt

Anyone have an idea why I have a higher cht on one cylinder and that same cylinder has a lower egt then the others. Is it enough difference to be concerned? Cylinder temp is around 380 while others are 350-360. And this same cylinder has an egt of 1000 while others at 1150-1200. This is at cruise 2300 rpms relatively rich. 0x-340 2009 EX

Default Re: Egt

If your EGTs are that low in cruise you are running way to rich. EGTs are not the same number for each airplane as it depends where the probe is installed but they should likely be in the plus/minus of 1300 in cruise. That is at 50% power setting burning around 5.5 gph. When you run really rich cylinder temps are less even because the carb does not do as good of a job. Both EGT and Cylinder temp should get closer to each other when leaner. You may want to experiment blocking the front fins. Just use foil tape on the front cylinders until you find the size that gives you the most even cylinder temps, then you can rivet aluminum ones on. Cylinders will very in temp and you will not get them perfect but you can get them really close for a cruise setting.
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 04-29-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks Troy, so im still getting familiar with these engines. It seems they like to run cht closer to 400-425 degrees. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jettshawn View Post
    Thanks Troy, so im still getting familiar with these engines. It seems they like to run cht closer to 400-425 degrees. Is that correct?
    They should not run that hot. 380 would be closer to what I get on a warmer day. I assume it is not a new engine for a 2009 so it is broke in? Try the tape on the front cylinders and make sure the exits are set at the half open. I did not find the full open did much. The tape deflects the air to the back better and will drop those temps, I assume it is the back that are hot. Also make sure all the baffle box is siliconed tight to the engine, no leaks.

Ya, i dont have a problem running hot. As you can tell i error on rich. I just read that these titan engines like to run around 400. This was my data from last night. I just have th one cylinder that is high on cht and low on egt. Just curios as to why the one was different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jettshawn View Post
    Ya, i dont have a problem running hot. As you can tell i error on rich. I just read that these titan engines like to run around 400. This was my data from last night. I just have th one cylinder that is high on cht and low on egt. Just curios as to why the one was different.

Try the tape and leaning and see what it does. Just think of it as a school science project

Great info, thanks Troy