Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: compression test

Default compression test

It has been a year since I was issued my Airworthiness Certificate and I'm in the process of performing my first Condition Inspection. In checking the compression using a differential tester with an inlet pressure dialed to 80 PSI my cylinders are checking excellent. Three of them are 78 and one is 77.

I'm wondering how this compares to other engines with similar hours? I have 126 hours now. I broke the engine in running Aeroshell straight-weight mineral oil for the first 25 hours. I changed it after about the first ten hours and put in the same oil up to the 25 hour change. I ran it hard these first hours too. Following that I changed oil each 25 hours using Phillips 20-50 XC oil and after 100 hours added a half quart of Camguard with the same Phillips oil.

Just a few little things found during the inspection. I tighened the alternator belt, found that the plastic oil filler neck was loose and kept from rotating by safety wire and a re-solder of two primer fitting to the copper line. I have three injectors for the primer system and prefer to use it rather than use the accelerator pump in the carb to start when cold.

I'm really pleased with the CC O-340 engine.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: compression test

Dan, everything you indicate sounds competely normal. I'd say you have a very healthy engine and have cared for it correctly. You may know that we (and ECi) recommend the Philips 20w-50 AD right from the beginning. AeroShell non-AD works fine too. Adding the CamGuard after the engine is broken in provides superp anti-wear and anti-corrosion properties so that is recommended also but of course adjust the quantity to half a bottle based on the lower oil capacity of the CC340. You've probably seen it but I posted a 'sticky' on oil in the Carbon Cub SS section here.
    Randy Lervold

Thanks Randy. It is a great engine. I'm also impressed with the low fuel burn.

I missed you at Ryan's last week. I came Saturday morning in the Carbon Cub. Those of us left Saturday night listened to live Bluegrass music and then thunderstorms pounding our tents.

Boy this is a great engine. I'm a couple of hours under 200 on it now and did a compression test last week. Each cylinder was 79/80.

At low power settings I'm a pretty aggressive leaner too. I topped of over the weekend and put in 39 gallons and had flown 8.1 hours since the last fill up.

Here's Moose Creek Idaho from the weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan L; 04-02-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added image and fuel comment

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Boy this is a great engine. I'm a couple of hours under 200 on it now and did a compression test last week. Each cylinder was 79/80.

At low power settings I'm a pretty aggressive leaner too. I topped of over the weekend and put in 39 gallons and had flown 8.1 hours since the last fill up.
    You must have broken the engine in correctly, are taking care of it with frequent oil changes, and using good operating habits. Also, ECi has perhaps the best cylinder technology available, more info HERE. Of course electronic ignition helps with the combustion efficiency as well. Nice when everything comes together and works, huh?
    Randy Lervold

Dan: I'm shocked there is that little snow. Our mountains are still covered and we are expecting more in the next day or two. Can I come over and Play? Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Dan: I'm shocked there is that little snow. Our mountains are still covered and we are expecting more in the next day or two. Can I come over and Play? Ralph
    Hi Ralph, keep in mind Moose Creek is only 2500' or so. Here's a picture of Fish Lake the same day. Well I guess not, the file was too large to upload I was told. Anyway lots of snow up high. We had snow here in the valley Monday of this week.

Almost 300 hours on the O-340 now and checked compression again. 78,78,79 and an 80. What more could you ask for?

Almost 300 hours on the O-340 now and checked compression again. 78,78,79 and an 80. What more could you ask for?
    As a newbie to the CC world, I really like that statement. I hope to start covering mine in a couple of weeks.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Dan, really glad to hear your testimony of the Titan 340CC. I'll be taking delivery of a new Carbon Cub soon and it's always great to hear good news about something I'll be pretty heavily invested in. I had the chance to speak with Kevin Eldredge of Titan Engines at Sun N Fun recently. He is a very enthusiastic individual and very approachable. He is very interested in hearing from Titan Engine owners. I'm sure he would appreciate your review. Thanks for sharing.