Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: compression test

Default Re: compression test

Dan, thanks for keeping us posted on your CC O-340. Mine is sitting on the dock up in Yakima about to head south to my shop. Great to hear how well it's performing and with input from Randy and others, this thread will really help the rest of us as we begin breaking in our new engine.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Paul; 04-16-2014 at 01:39 PM.

I checked my compression again. There are 360 hours on it now and all four cylinders checked 78. Perfect.

image.jpg

Sluice Creek on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon in early March.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I checked my compression again. There are 360 hours on it now and all four cylinders checked 78. Perfect.

image.jpg

Sluice Creek on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon in early March.
    Good news Dan. And nice pIc. It was cool to read this post from almost a year ago with my CC340 sitting in Yakima...and fast forward today it has 50 hours of perfect performance in Arizona skies.

I bumped my Condition Inspection up a month and part of that is a compression test. With 525 hours on the O-340 now they still check excellent with three 78s and a 79.

image.jpg

This is last week up the North Fork of the Flathead.

Since I've been making a report on this each year, I checked my compression again and am keeping it going. Still showing high numbers after 626 hours. Three 78s and a 77.

image.jpg

Yesterday afternoon. Even as low as the river there is plenty of snow in our valley. Sans snowshoes this area would let me sink to my thighs. These Carbon Concept carbon fiber skis really float well in the loose snow and provide a lot of AOA.

I had noticed an occasional miss that seemed to be ignition related so changed spark plugs as they were about due for a change anyway. The miss persisted. CC and Lightspeed recommend changing sparkpkug leads after 500 hours and I had not done that. So I ordered a new set and put them in last month. After a few hours of flying with the new leads the miss seems to be gone.

I'll not go over 500 hours on this set. They were about $180 so not expensive either.

With about 10 hours on the O-340 now since the spark plug lead change I have not had one miss. Prior to the change out it was an every-flight experience. For those getting close to the 500 hour mark I'd recommend changing them before you get the miss.

On a side note, I changed my prop out last fall for a different pitch Catto. I like to get props dynamically balanced and it didn't work out to do it until a few days ago (mostly because I was on straight skis all winter). It went from .39 IPS to .06" IPS. That is a big improvement and noticeable in the cockpit too. The prop guys like to see .15" IPS or better.

I'm convinced everything on an airplane lasts longer when the prop is dynamically balanced. Interestingly the weight on the starter gear went into the same hole as the weight had been for the previous prop. I had it marked with a Sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post

I'm convinced everything on an airplane lasts longer when the prop is dynamically balanced. Interestingly the weight on the starter gear went into the same hole as the weight had been for the previous prop. I had it marked with a Sharpie.

I 100% agree.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I had the cowling off and decided to check compressions just to see where they are. About 750 hours on it now. So it still looks as good as it gets; #1 is a 79, #2 is 78, #3 is 77 and 4 is 78!

What more could an owner ask for?

AE29A198-0962-40A4-8274-256952568F7B.jpg

The compressions are still excellent. This is my 9th year flying the EX and I have 846.8 hours on the engine now. Three 78s and a 79! And it feels like like it too when you get the prop near TDC. Nothing like the Continental in the Cessna. The Continental, an IO 360, is a one arm pull. The O 340 is a be-very-careful two-handed affair.

6B2A25F5-901E-46F3-AC96-EEB3DCACC811.jpg

I pulled the skis and left the little 8” tires on until I get the Condition Inspection complete.