Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: instruments

Default instruments

anyone use the Becker Transponders? was wondering how the BECKER BXP6401-2-(01) MODE-S compares to the garmin 330 s mode.....also any thoughts on MGL instruments/ radios etc ,,,,,thanks...

Default Re: instruments

I'm not a big fan of the Beckers. The wiring diagrams can be hard to figure out (translated, odd terms etc) Also on the some of the other models we have had HUGE DOA issues. At one time we were up to something like 14/18 bad new out of the box.

Never had a GTX330 bad out of the box that I know of.

Not real familiar with the MGL although I think we may have just installed a com in our aftermarket shop. It looked comparable to an XCOM.

Take a look at Trig, they make a 2 1/4 that I think is mode S. It weighs less, way easier install wiring.
    Last edited by Pete D; 06-19-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete - Just curious, if CC is having so much trouble with the Beckers why are they still selling them? Just got my panel delivered last week with a Becker radio and transponder....??
    IMG_0708.jpg

Good question. Its hard to switch to an unknown without testing. One of the company aircraft just got a radio and trasponder that we are evaluating for a possible alternative.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thank's Pete, hopefully they will be reliable. At least they would not be that hard to change. 78% DOA is hard to fathom, especially for a German company. Maybe they work better if you sprechen Deutsch.

Hey Guys,
    I plan to use Dynon Skyviews in my CC and possibly their pitot. I was wondering if anyone has installed ADHRS boxes or pitots other then the pitot provided in the kit using a pitot mast. I know the best place to put the ADHRS is in the wings, however, and was hoping someone had pictures of where and how they mounted the ADHRS or pitot.
    Last edited by stede52; 01-11-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I plan to use Dynon Skyviews in my CC and possibly their pitot. I was wondering if anyone has installed ADHRS boxes or pitots other then the pitot provided in the kit using a pitot mast. I know the best place to put the ADHRS is in the wings, however, and was hoping someone had pictures of where and how they mounted the ADHRS or pitot.
    We installed a Skyview system, but we are still a few months away from flying it. We made a bracket for the ADHRS and mounted it in the bay just forward of the standard Cubcrafter location. This is where the second fuel tank would have been installed. It is possible that it would also fit behind the rear spar, but since we had the space, it was easier and less likely for interference in the larger area. The system powered up and so far all is ok, we also installed the Dynon transponder, ADS-B receiver and an ICOM 210 com radio.

A Dynon AOA pitot was installed on the rear spar with a Cubcrafter pitot bracket and an RV mount, but because of a recommendation from this forum, we later moved it to the forward spar. The bracket will work either way, with a little adjusting. The forward location should also avoid disturbed air affecting the AOA.

Since we haven't flown yet, it remains to seen how all of this will work out. Here are a few picture, the AOA is shown on the rear spar before we moved it

DRL
    N439

Attachment 2639Attachment 264020121129_120250.jpgAttachment 2642
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DRL; 03-20-2014 at 09:05 PM.

DRL,
    Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. Bye the way do you happen to have the pattern for the AHRS bracket in digital form? Where did you end up installing the ADS-B receiver module? Great looking panel
    Last edited by stede52; 01-12-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    DRL,
    Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for. Bye the way do you happen to have the pattern for the AHRS bracket in digital form? Where did you end up installing the ADS-B receiver module? Great looking panel
    I don't have the template anymore, but I think it could be improved, ours was way too complicated. We mounted the ADS-B and the EMS boxes to the tubing behind the panel by fabricating angle brackets and using Adel clamps for cushioning. We then used rivnuts (trix-nuts) to attach the boxes in an inverted position to the brackets. This allows easy removal of the boxes. With the Skyview removed, there is plenty of empty space behind the panel to work on all the cables. The ADS-B antenna is located at the wing root on top of the wing, not the best location, but there was not enough space on the bottom of the fuselage to meet the distance requirements between the Comm and Transponder antennas. We connected the standby instruments to the Dynon pitot and installed static ports on both sides of the fuselage like the Top Cub.

Drl

20131111_145107.jpg

Drl,
    Thanks, again, I'll see what I can come up with as far as a bracket, it should be pretty simple to build.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA