Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O-200 XP Package for Sport Cub

Default Re: O-200 XP Package for Sport Cub

Estimate for ground takeoff roll distance and rate of climb specs post xp mod?

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by BanksT View Post
    Estimate for ground takeoff roll distance and rate of climb specs post xp mod?
    Based I what I saw before putting floats on my SportCub, 325 or 350 ft for takeoff were regularly attainable. Climb performance improved by 20%. Depending on the prop and tires on the airplane, you could see as much as 108-110 mph indicated airspeed in cruise.

I have a Sensenich grd adj prop with 52" pitch on my SportCub on floats.

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Based I what I saw before putting floats on my SportCub, 325 or 350 ft for takeoff were regularly attainable. Climb performance improved by 20%. Depending on the prop and tires on the airplane, you could see as much as 108-110 mph indicated airspeed in cruise.

I have a Sensenich grd adj prop with 52" pitch on my SportCub on floats.

JM
    Using straight line delta difference between carbon cub specs and sport cub, a 20hp increase would equate to a 271ft takeoff roll and 1,050 climb rate ... Does this seem like to aggressive of performance increase assumptions?
    Last edited by BanksT; 09-18-2014 at 08:13 PM.

I had a S2 Dons Dream machine did my engine upgrade which included a new cam. I could easily take off 2 people less than 250' climb was about 1200fm with 29" tires. I was running a 50" cartridge IAS 100 and a 52" cartridge IAS 105 @ 2450 which seem to do the best over all. I only know of one other S2 who put the new cam in too so not sure of performance with out it. I was very pleased with the performance, temps all went down as did the fuel burn. One person it was quite impressive.
    Chuck

Don Swords, owner of Don's Dream Machines in Griffin, GA has sold his hangar and engine facility and has officially "retired". That being said, he is still semi-operating out of his garage, and will probably be working on a small-block Continental motor when he leaves this earth. If anyone would like to get in touch with Don, I have his contact information.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    Don Swords, owner of Don's Dream Machines in Griffin, GA has sold his hangar and engine facility and has officially "retired". That being said, he is still semi-operating out of his garage, and will probably be working on a small-block Continental motor when he leaves this earth. If anyone would like to get in touch with Don, I have his contact information.
    Chip I would like to get him to do the upgrade to my sport cub if they ever come up with an approved prop, so hang on to the info....maybe it will be soon!!!

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by ncshp View Post
    Chip I would like to get him to do the upgrade to my sport cub if they ever come up with an approved prop, so hang on to the info....maybe it will be soon!!!
    I know there is a caveat concerning the Sensenich grnd adj prop but there are other props. When you re-certify to E-LSA to make the engine upgrade, you could consider a Catto prop. CubCrafters offered the Catto prop as standard on the SportCub until the ATSM standards were changed last year.

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

I know there is a lot of concern regarding the Sensenich prop on the 0-200 and 0-200 xp. I have asked a number of very knowledgeable people about this and the consensus I hear is that there is more of a business problem regarding TCM/Lycoming and Sensenich. All propellers have harmonics at various rpm's. I have not talked with anyone who has actually experienced this mag failure due to harmonics with this propeller. I have checked my mags at annuals and still see no indication of a problem.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 09-22-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Is anyone running a Catto prop with the XP-0200? What kind of performance have you experienced? What pitch and Diameter?...The Catto is such a smooth prop I hope to hear good results! Its been a year and no move or new info. from Sensenich on the Grd adj.
    Last edited by ncshp; 09-24-2014 at 06:25 PM.

I continue to be impressed by the performance of the 0200 in my sport cub. It has the xp mod done by LyCon. Wednesday was really hot for Maine, we were 91 degrees and 75 dewpoint, really unusual for us to be so sultry. I gave a ride to a surveyor to inspect a couple big parcels we are looking at. We were right at gross. The plane was off in 350 ft, climb at 80 for cooling about 800 fpm. Don't know the DA but was high for us. Does a nice job for me at 6 gph and 100 mph. My oil burn is a bit disappointing at 1 qt 8 hrs but I know of 3 others that are the same. Thx for a nice package CC. I wonder how a Carbon Cub will fit in...hmmm
    Jim