Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guidelines For Window Position In Flight, When To Latch When Not To

Default Guidelines For Window Position In Flight, When To Latch When Not To

I have been flying N165CC for about a year now and never latch the right side window into the open position in flight. This was the advice of the dealer I purchase the plane from. His logic was at certain angles of attach the window could break. So his instruction was to always just leave the window basically flapping in the breeze. But many of the promotional and owner videos and pictures do show the right side window latched during flight. My question is does anyone have any opinions about this, i.e when you can or can't latch the right or left window in the open position during flight.....It would be nice if the POH discussed this I did not see any mention guidelines for having the door or windows open during flight.

Default Re: Guidelines For Window Position In Flight, When To Latch When Not To

Stay tuned, I believe there is some guidelines being written by engineering right now to be be sent out soon.

Personally I do basically the same thing as well as staying below 70 or 80 MPH when the window is open. (those are unofficial numbers, just my personal experience)
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Personally I do basically the same thing as well as staying below 70 or 80 MPH when the window is open. (those are unofficial numbers, just my personal experience)
    I try to keep it below 70 or 75 with window(s) open. When it's latched open the window oscillates wildly against the latch, and mine doesn't have the mid-window stiffener bar of the later models. I wonder if a second latch near the aft end of the window would help.

Oh, yes -- when you fly with the windows open, be sure to secure objects in the cabin -- like charts!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pilawt; 05-31-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
    I try to keep it below 70 or 75 with window(s) open. When it's latched open the window oscillates wildly against the latch, and mine doesn't have the mid-window stiffener bar of the later models. I wonder if a second latch near the aft end of the window would help.
    There isn't really anything strong enough in the wing to attach a second latch too.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by jmariner19 View Post
    I have been flying N165CC for about a year now and never latch the right side window into the open position in flight. This was the advice of the dealer I purchase the plane from. His logic was at certain angles of attach the window could break. So his instruction was to always just leave the window basically flapping in the breeze. But many of the promotional and owner videos and pictures do show the right side window latched during flight. My question is does anyone have any opinions about this, i.e when you can or can't latch the right or left window in the open position during flight.....It would be nice if the POH discussed this I did not see any mention guidelines for having the door or windows open during flight.
    HAve flow now at least 500 hours with windows open on the S2 and the CC. Everyone is correct re do not exceed 70 mph and windows stay latched nicely and also less pressure on the windows to have both open vs just one. Hope thatt helps Gary

I'll add that in addition to 70mph-ish being a good airspeed figure that I usually limit my open door ops to something under 2000-2100 rpm. Even diving thru something closer to 100 (as in laying in to a low pass down the airstrip) you won't have as much of a problem if you have the power pulled back some. I believe it is the excessive propwash/thrust more than anything that is doing harm. Think about how the air is coming off the right side, descending prop blade...its constantly trying to bring the window down. Ever notice how the left side has really no problem at all? Prop wash is trying to keep it in the up position. Try it.

Indeed the next rev of the POH will (finally) have guidelines for operating with the windows/door open. Basically, operate below 80 mph with them open and no takeoffs due to the excess thrust under that condition as Clay pointed out.

I know many dealers give demo flights with the right window and door open which makes for a pleasant flight on a hot summer day but it makes me cringe knowing the thrust that that big fan up front is generating.
    Randy Lervold

Indeed the next rev of the POH will (finally) have guidelines for operating with the windows/door open. Basically, operate below 80 mph with them open and no takeoffs due to the excess thrust under that condition as Clay pointed out.

I know many dealers give demo flights with the right window and door open which makes for a pleasant flight on a hot summer day but it makes me cringe knowing the thrust that that big fan up front is generating.

All that said, I know there is nothing quite so pleasant as crusing around with the right window and door open on a hot summer evening... fantastic views, smells, and little turbulence for the backseater as long as the left window is closed. So enjoy, just do it below 80 mph!
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    ... and no takeoffs due to the excess thrust under that condition as Clay pointed out...
    With windows open I have always flown inside the flap arc (80 mph) and no more than 2000 rpm. I have taken off though, but just eased off the ground at 2000 rpm. Would you consider this okay Randy?

If I need to takeoff with more power I shut the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmag View Post
    With windows open I have always flown inside the flap arc (80 mph) and no more than 2000 rpm. I have taken off though, but just eased off the ground at 2000 rpm. Would you consider this okay Randy?

If I need to takeoff with more power I shut the windows.
    Sounds fine, and "windows/door open only in the flap arc" is a great memory aid. Enjoy the flight!
    Randy Lervold