Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guidelines For Window Position In Flight, When To Latch When Not To

Default Re: Guidelines For Window Position In Flight, When To Latch When Not To

I guess I should have been more clear in my question. Your post read to prohibit takeoffs with windows/door open. How about takeoffs easing off at 2000 rpm?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmag View Post
    I guess I should have been more clear in my question. Your post read to prohibit takeoffs with windows/door open. How about takeoffs easing off at 2000 rpm?
    Aha, sorry for misunderstanding. I'm not sure how the language will read, most likely a simple recommendation to not takeoff with the windows/door open in order to keep it simple. Otherwise we need to get into specific rpms and that could snoball in complexity.
    Randy Lervold

Speaking of added complexity, I wonder if some sort of gas-strut on the inside, or perhaps a thick rubber thingy on the outside where the window contacts the clasp would mitigate it a bit?

Angry Re: Guidelines For Window Position In Flight, When To Latch When Not To

I am happy to see some guidance on this issue.
    For me, it's a little late.
    Since the manual did not prohibit flight with the window open, I have flown that way occasionally.
    As a result my window is damaged from the sharp screw heads in the bottom of the wing and will probably require replacement at some later time.
    I talked to a Sport Cub owner last week with the same problem.
    I assumed, apparently incorectly, that it was OK to fly with the window/door open since I see Cubcrafter ads showing flight with them open.
    I know that the Legend Cub allows open window/door flight as do several other cub clones.
    I guess just because others can dosen't mean we can!
    More problems and cost.
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 06-25-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Indeed the next rev of the POH will (finally) have guidelines for operating with the windows/door open. Basically, operate below 80 mph with them open and no takeoffs due to the excess thrust under that condition as Clay pointed out.

I know many dealers give demo flights with the right window and door open which makes for a pleasant flight on a hot summer day but it makes me cringe knowing the thrust that that big fan up front is generating.

All that said, I know there is nothing quite so pleasant as crusing around with the right window and door open on a hot summer evening... fantastic views, smells, and little turbulence for the backseater as long as the left window is closed. So enjoy, just do it below 80 mph!

POH Warnings - One thing I would definately suggest if the POH is going to address opening the window in flight is a warning and placard stating "Rear latch Must be released before front latch". If the pilot inadvertantly releases the front window latch before the rear the window will be destroyed. I have not put in my own placard yet but plan to ASAP. For now, before I touch a window latch I slow down and make double sure I am releasing the correct "The rear latch" first.

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

As I wait for my airplane to be built (in covering now, yaaay!), this thread has raised my awareness, a good thing. One thing occurs. As a denizen of the deep South (currently) I was kind of lookin' forward (get that Southern accent in there) to open windows and doors. I'm cool with all of the comments and cautions, but one other question.

The windows are listed as removable. For us guys in the deep South (and other hot places) can we just take 'em off and fly THAT way? Limitations on those ops? I have actually looked through the online POH and have not seen it addressed. God knows I could have missed it.

What say y'all?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    The windows are listed as removable. For us guys in the deep South (and other hot places) can we just take 'em off and fly THAT way? Limitations on those ops? I have actually looked through the online POH and have not seen it addressed. God knows I could have missed it.

What say y'all?

Jim
    Yes, the newer windows are removable with a few screws, we were working on a pin system to make it easier but I don't know if we have that complete yet. There should be no limitations with them removed however you might consider removing just one first.
    Randy Lervold

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Yes, the newer windows are removable with a few screws, we were working on a pin system to make it easier but I don't know if we have that complete yet. There should be no limitations with them removed however you might consider removing just one first.
    I have a 2009 Sport Cub. I assume that the nuts for the three fasteners on each window hinge are captured in the window frame (i.e. they will still be there when I want to put the window back on)?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    I have a 2009 Sport Cub. I assume that the nuts for the three fasteners on each window hinge are captured in the window frame (i.e. they will still be there when I want to put the window back on)?
    Thanks
    Does anyone have an answer for this?
    Bill