Thread: Rough O200A

Default Rough O200A

Hi All,

When I purchased my used (~300hr) Sport Cub, the engine would occasionally run a bit rough. Playing with the mixture or carb heat would sometimes smooth things out a bit, but it just never ran “right”. You probably know what I mean, you cant put your finger on it exactly, you just sense all is not well. I had flown a few dozen hours behind other O200s (some better than others) so I had a general sense of what normal was for these engines.

I decided to install an engine monitor, mostly to keep track of CHTs but installed the EGT probes to help diagnose the roughness problem. I hate throwing parts at a problem in hopes that the problem just goes away. Anyway, after downloading the engine data from a few flights it was evident that the intake hydraulic lifter on one cylinder was misbehaving. After replacement the engine is now super smooth, well as good as any other O200 I have flown behind I now have around 15 hours after the fix now, so I’m confident that the problem is solved.

Hopefully this information might be of help to others. If anyone has a question please drop me a message.

Paul K.

Default Re: Rough O200A

Thanks for the tip!
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

What type engine monitor did you install and where did you put it?
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Hi All,

When I purchased my used (~300hr) Sport Cub, the engine would occasionally run a bit rough. Playing with the mixture or carb heat would sometimes smooth things out a bit, but it just never ran “right”. You probably know what I mean, you cant put your finger on it exactly, you just sense all is not well. I had flown a few dozen hours behind other O200s (some better than others) so I had a general sense of what normal was for these engines.

I decided to install an engine monitor, mostly to keep track of CHTs but installed the EGT probes to help diagnose the roughness problem. I hate throwing parts at a problem in hopes that the problem just goes away. Anyway, after downloading the engine data from a few flights it was evident that the intake hydraulic lifter on one cylinder was misbehaving. After replacement the engine is now super smooth, well as good as any other O200 I have flown behind I now have around 15 hours after the fix now, so I’m confident that the problem is solved.

Hopefully this information might be of help to others. If anyone has a question please drop me a message.

Paul K.

It's a JPI 730, which fits in a standard instrument hole. Mine is just to the right of the avionics stack in the lower factory hole.

Paul